A week with Tootles

Sunday - Roast chicken, dry roast spuds (A la Rosemary Conely) apricot and walnut stuffing,carrots and brussels. Red wine gravy. Apple and raspberry crumble with single cream.

Monday - cold chicken thighs, green salad and jacket spuds. A & R crumble..

Tuesday - cheese pie........ lightly fried onion,mashed spuds and cheese mixed together, in a dish top sprinkled with parmesan cheese and paprika pepper, cooked in the oven until golden, tomato's cut in half in a dish, drizzled with olive oil salt and pepper and sprinkled with rosemary and thyme. cover with foil and bake in the oven with the cheese pie....remains of A & R crumble.

Wednesday - chopped onion, remains of chicken stripped from the carcass, chopped, couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise and a handful of sultanas, mixed together and served with a salad and jacket spud. Fresh fruit salad and icecream.

Thursday -spag bol, chopped onion, fried in a little oil, mince browned, add tin of tomato's chopped, Italian herbs, tablespoon of tomato puree and 2 cloves of crushed garlic, beef stock cube, red wine if you have any and pepper, cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Allow the mixture to cool and skim off any excess fat, then out in the frdige for 24 hours before using. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and put in the spaghetti, once it has gone down into the water stir with a spoon, put on the lid and turn off the heat leave for approx 12 minutes...... the spaghetti should be cooked. Re-heat the bol sauce adding chopped mushrooms if liked, portion out spag and spoon bol sauce, serve topped with grated parmesan and home made garlic bread. remainder of the fruit salad from yesterday with ice-cream.

Friday - HM fish and chips, chips made RC's way see Hip and thight diet.
rice pusdding.

Saturday - stovies....... fry onions in a little dripping, peel and slice up several spuds, put the slices in the pan with the onions and put on the lid, shake well so the spuds are coated by the fat, add just about 4 tablespoons of water, replace the lid and turn the heat down to the lowest heat. shake a couple of times. leave to cook for about 45 ninutes, whilst the spuds are cooking dice up half a can of corned beef, after 45minutes turn off the heat and put in the corned beef...... leave to stand for 15 minutes, serve with either brown or tomato sauce.......this is something we have about once every 4 - 6 weeks, its rather bad for you, but delicious if cooked properly. oranges in jelly.

I could go on for the month but this is our menu for the next week, we have just had the chicken, I used one breast sliced for supper tonight, the other will be taken off and chopped to be used on Wednesday.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!

Comments

• Tootles could you please post the apricot and walnut stuffing recipe -sounds delish!
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    450g sausage meat
    150g breadcrumbs fresh
    150g chopped walnuts
    100g chopped dried apricots
    50g butter
    2tbs fresh parsley chopped
    1tbs fresh thyme chopped
    1 small onion chopped
    2 rashers chopped bacon
    1 free range egg beaten
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 Juice and zest of a lime

Salt and black pepper

Gently fry the onion, bacon and garlic in the butter until tender.

Mix in the remainder of the ingredients and season.

Roll into balls and bake for 30 minutes or stuff your bird in the traditional way.

For two of us I make half the recipe and only use half freeze the other half for use on another occasion.

Total so far £14.00!!
  • tootles wrote:

Thursday -spag bol, chopped onion, fried in a little oil, mince browned, add tin of tomato's chopped, Italian herbs, tablespoon of tomato puree and 2 cloves of crushed garlic, beef stock cube, red wine if you have any and pepper, cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Allow the mixture to cool and skim off any excess fat, then out in the frdige for 24 hours before using.

Any reason why you wait 24 hours before using??
  • tootles_2
    Yup the 24 hours allows the flavour to develop and you can also skim off any excess fat which may collect on the top of the sauce. I do the same with stews, cook the day before I use them. Freezing has the same effect, but if you freeze becareful how much garlic you put in, freezing can make it very strong tasting.

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Chips and roasties recipe please!
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• tootles_2
    Roasties, I steam the peeled spuds for about 15 minutes then put in the tin with the meat on a rack so they are not in the fat....... they brown just the same as they would if they were covered in fat, the natural sugar in the spuds is what makes the spuds brown, they take about as long as normal roasties, between 45 - 60 minutes on reg 5 what ever that is in degrees c.

Chips, cut in the normal way and put into an oven tin, I then brush them with a little veg oil, just enough to lightly coat them, put in at Reg 6 quite high in the oven, about half way through, shake and turn them and again brush very lightly with oil, you know they are ready when they are brown and a fork goes right through them. I have done roasties and chips this way for so long it is second nature, just occasionally I will do roasties the normal way, but find chips cooked in fat too greasy. I started using this method when I had gall bladder problems, which was when RC developed the low fat hip and thigh diet, she also had gall bladder problems.

Total so far £14.00!!
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,554
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I do my roasties like that, too! (Also had gall stones)

Thanks for new ideas as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport