'Close this site for the recession?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• Definitely don't close it, as realistically, even if you do it'll just spur someone else to start an alternative site doing the same
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Well, if you do close it, it would save most of us a spot of electricity - the PCs wont be on so much. Which in turn will help the environment!

Bills at MSE towers would go down as staff would not be wanted to run the site. All just before Christmas. People turfed out of their jobs.... Joe Public with no-where to go and they will become bored and ferral, just like the kids of today....

Do you want that Martin?? Do you????????!!!!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    simond wrote: »
    Definitely don't close it, as realistically, even if you do it'll just spur someone else to start an alternative site doing the same

Simond, don't worry I've no plans to close it... don't know if you read through the blog which explains why I write this. The title is very much tongue in cheek.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Keep the site open but employ an editor to help with those troublesome apostrophes! ;-)
    I'd be happy to take on that role...

“We live in an adversarial consumer society. A company's job is to screw us for cash, our job is to stop them. There’s nothing wrong with that, the problem is we’re out-gunned. Companies spend billions on advertising, marketing and teaching their staff to sell… we don’t get any buyers' training… I hope MoneySaving will help change that”
  • outof
    outof Posts: 14 Forumite
    Perhaps you should start a section called "Getting other people to stimulate the economy so I don't have to."

This makes very salient reading,
    http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/11/chinas-smoot-hawley.html

Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether we spend, the problems with the global economy are about an imbalance in trade. We've got to get China spending before we can dig ourselves out of this.

The jury is out on whether retail stimulus works, a true Keynsian approach would be big much needed infrastructure projects like micro/super grids, light rail networks and hydro batteries. Me buying a new sofa is not going to sort us out.
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Simond, don't worry I've no plans to close it... don't know if you read through the blog which explains why I write this. The title is very much tongue in cheek.

Trust me, I read it and can understand the dilemma, I mostly said that to point out that now the site is around, if it did go then enough people (or businesses, as if! :) ) would want it back that something would turn up to fill the void :)
  • Something I once read made the point that every penny you save is money that your bank can then use to give a loan to a business, and as a result savings are very important to keeping the economy going.

Since credit between institutions is currently very limited, isn't it even more important now to be saving money to save the economy?
  • Oh my golly, I nearly had kittens when I read that... then I read the blog. Should have done that first!
    Luvz Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Okay, you frightened the life out of me for about five minutes..... you're the only person writing about consumers thats trustworthy, Martin, in reality - because you've nailed your agenda to the wall. A journalist who's after a story isn't completely trustworthy, because their agenda is the story.

You're for the consumer in all their many colours - whether its people who actually are consuming, like the "cheap deals" stuff, or people who are in debt and need to rein back, sometimes dramatically.

I still reckon you should run the country.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Think of all the good this site and the programmes have done...Had everyone followed these principles there probably wouldn't be such a mess. It would have been wrong to keep quiet and then say 'well, I knew that you were all going to come unstuck in the end'.

Even now, you can help by providing advice on how to get out of the hole that many people have found themselves in.

I'd vote for you!!!!!!!!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family