Saving my BT bookmarks and contacts (Help?)

Hello Techies

I need some help as to saving/transferring my BT bookmarks(favourites) and contacts to put into Sky when I transfer. I've tried tools internet options but can't find a way to export the data.

Helpful techies have come to my rescue in the past so here's hoping?

Comments

• isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Are they just bookmarks in Internet Explorer? If so then you don't need to do anything. You'll just add some settings for your Sky account, but you computer setup, including your bookmarks will be retained.

However if BT uses some special browsing software, you'll need to export your bookmarks, and import into a standard browser such as IE or Firefox.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In IE7 its File, import and export, then follow the wizard.
    In Firefox its Bookmarks, Organise Bookmarks, Import and Backup.

As stated above when you move to Sky nothing changes, my advise is not to use the installation disk ( unless you desperately want Macaffee) , just plug in the router and off you go.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • oxters
    oxters Posts: 456 Forumite
    Thanks Guys but I'm using BT Yahoo. I'm following their instructions click on bookmarks then "edit" only "edit is not an option till you click on one of the bookmark files, but then the only option is to change the file name or add a comment. Export is not an option - I'll try the help desk and see if they have a solution
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oxters wrote: »
    Thanks Guys but I'm using BT Yahoo. I'm following their instructions click on bookmarks then "edit" only "edit is not an option till you click on one of the bookmark files, but then the only option is to change the file name or add a comment. Export is not an option - I'll try the help desk and see if they have a solution

The BT Yahoo browser is simply a B@stardised version of IE. Try using a better browser e.g. FF3 here which will automatically import all of your bookmarks for you.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • oxters
    OK I seem to have managed to save my favourites/bookmarks from both my wife's account and mine to Internet Explorer. Yippee!
    Thanks for advice.

So when I sign up to Sky and ditch BT (hope I'm doing the right thing there - buying the full phone/TV/Broadband package!)will that info still be in IE?

Sorry to be so non-tech but I'm learning - slowly
  • espresso
    OK I seem to have managed to save my favourites/bookmarks from both my wife's account and mine to Internet Explorer. Yippee!
    Thanks for advice.

You have gained nothing by doing that, as your BT Yahoo browser would still work on any ISP and is simply a rebranded version of IE.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • oxters
    espresso wrote: »
    You have gained nothing by doing that, as your BT Yahoo browser would still work on any ISP and is simply a rebranded version of IE.

Thanks Coffee mate,
    Is that the same for my address bokk/Contacts - will I be able to access it after I switch to sky?
  • espresso
    Thanks Coffee mate,
    Is that the same for my address bokk/Contacts - will I be able to access it after I switch to sky?

Yes the same for those, although you will need to change the SMTP server in your e-mail client when you change over to SKY as your ISP.
  • oxters
    espresso wrote: »
    Yes the same for those, although you will need to change the SMTP server in your e-mail client when you change over to SKY as your ISP.

"you will need to change the SMTP server in your e-mail client"

Sorry but you'll need to put that in terms a village idiot would understand.
  • espresso
    "you will need to change the SMTP server in your e-mail client"

Sorry but you'll need to put that in terms a village idiot would understand.

Explained in village idiot speak here.

Most ISP's won't allow you to send mail other than thorough their own mail server.

:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure