What do we need to start camping?

Options
A tent, obviously! But seriously, my family and I are trying to cut down the budget for our holidays and would like to start camping. Howver, we've never done it before and I was wondering what the basic things are we'd need? I don't want to be one of the 'All the gear - no idea' bunch, I just want the main things you'd use when camping.

What have you found to be the most/least useful things? And how do you keep your belongings safe when you go out?

Thanks for any advice!
Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)

Comments

• sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkpig08 wrote: »
    A tent, obviously! But seriously, my family and I are trying to cut down the budget for our holidays and would like to start camping. Howver, we've never done it before and I was wondering what the basic things are we'd need? I don't want to be one of the 'All the gear - no idea' bunch, I just want the main things you'd use when camping.

What have you found to be the most/least useful things? And how do you keep your belongings safe when you go out?

Thanks for any advice!

A tent, a sleeping bag and food. Then make sure you pitch it within walking distance of a Trvaeldoge and when the wife falls asleep go and sleep in comfort :D
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    Keep belongings in water-proof bags (bin-bags), take valuables with you or lock in the boot of the car, better still don't take anything valuable, there's a bit of an ethics code around camping, so you shouldn't be 'burgled'.

Someway to make a cuppa in the morning - you'll be miserable without it!!

A line to hang out your damp clothes / washing!

A lilo to sleep on - camping mats are harsh!

A sense of humour, a pack of cards oh and torches!

If you're going into the wilds - loo roll!!!
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    BTW - could you not borrow the stuff. I run a couple of youth groups that 'own' camping equipment that's stored in my garage. I actively encourage families of the kids to borrow it over the summer when the groups are closed - so that as a community we can make the best out of it (after all, they paid for it!)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Number one requirement is a car large enough to fit everything an everybody in!

With a family you will probably need loads of gear if you intend going camping for any length of time.

Large tent
    Beds/lilos
    Sleeping bags
    Cooking gear - stove, fuel, pans, crockery, cutlery
    Chairs
    Table

Then everything else you would normally take on holiday.
  • TimothyEBaldwin
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Number one requirement is a car large enough to fit everything an everybody in!

With a family you will probably need loads of gear if you intend going camping for any length of time.

Large tent
    Beds/lilos
    Sleeping bags
    Cooking gear - stove, fuel, pans, crockery, cutlery
    Chairs
    Table

Then everything else you would normally take on holiday.

Some people would consider that excessive. It depends what facilities are at the campsite, what you want, the weather, and what disabilities, if any, you have.

Make sure you can put the tent, the one we have requires 2 people to erect.
  • hush72
    hush72 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at this website ...

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

I camp frequently and more often than not, I choose my campsite from the above website. It's been recommended a number of times by other MSEers.

Make sure you look on the messages boards on there as you'll find lists of recommended equipment for camping.

Have fun.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check out poundland for cheap sets of cutlery and billy cans, enamel plates and a thermos type mug, a pound each!

They also do little folding stools which are alright for the kids, but go to Woolies for a cheap folding chair for about a fiver.

We got a camping stove plus 4 tins of gas for £23 from Milletts, around the same as it would have cost online. Kettle from Tesco with a tea strainer int he top was another fiver.
    Sleeping bags from Aldi about £7 each.

As you can see it all adds up...speak to anyone you know who goes to music festivals, ask around to borrow equipment.

Or simply go to any music festival and take your pick of all the gear left behind on the last day....:beer::money:
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • shadej
    shadej Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    99p store is great, also The Range. Dont forget a folding water canister and wind breaker(The bigger the better)
    Camping isn't cheap though. We went for the first time a few weeks ago and spent over £800 for a week, including all equipment, food and spending money for 2 adults and a child.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    I have found that if at all possible, have a small trailer and keep everything you need for camping in it. We used to keep ours in the garage, then it was ready to go whenever we had a weekend free and the weather was nice. My grownup kids think the weather is always hot in north Wales cos that was when we went.
    You need just as much equipment for a weekend as as you do for 2 weeks.
    washing up bowl and liquid pan scrubber and t towels and a tim opener are all things I used to forget until we had it all packed in the trailer. hth
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • gelbean
    gelbean Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Wilkinsons has its camping stuff - plastic plates/ cups/ glasses/ cool box freezer block things and everything at half price at mo so could be worth a look. i would definitely reccommend getting a little stove that uses the bigger gas bottles (if that makes sense) as you can cook proper meals on them saving you a fortune in takeaways - however the gas can be a little pricey so probably only worth it of you were going to camp regularly.

Payment a day ISA - £27.51 Online Saver - £11.97
    Sealed pot - £8.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family