Comments

• mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Thanks chelletune:)
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • hi suziq- that happened to me a few years ago. they said they would spread payments over 24 months then cocked up and made me pay in 6 months. not with them anymore. isnt edf doing a capped thingy, worth ringing and asking even if they say no.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • can I declare at £202.49 please. I know I am over but I am really pleased to get so close as I had set a target that reduced my monthly spend and this was my first attempt. can I have

£200 for August please.

By rights I should walk this one as ex OH has now moved out and it's just myself and DS 14(part time). Want to leave it as it is for August and see how we go. Doing the inventory of the freezers was the best and most useful thing, going to add the food cupboard contents to the list this month and stick the lot on the fridge. Hopefully that will mean the 3 bags of bulgar wheat will get used up :rotfl: .

Thanks for everyone's helpful posts and good luck!
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • mandy_moo_1-I'm 36 actually...sorry to crush you're illusion!!!
    OB is 40!! but we're both like a couple of students when it comes to our travelling.

finding my feet-loved your wise message!!

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    mandy_moo_1-I'm 36 actually...sorry to crush you're illusion!!!

Lol at least people think youre younger than you are instead of thinking youre older ;)

I had someone knock on my door yesterday who asked if she could speak to my mum or dad :rotfl: I said I am the mum in this house! but I think she thought I was 15 or something. :rotfl: :rotfl: She said oh you must be a very young mum then. I'm 26!! :rolleyes:

I've got some jam/preserve recipes I can post if anyones interested?

Nikki x
    :A
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Have you had the urge to clean the oven yet :eek: Maybe he's coming early ;)

When I got to 38 weeks and told my midwife that I didnt want to be induced and wanted to wait till DS was ready to come out, all the docs at JPH kept offering me c-sec :rolleyes: Maybe you should tell them youre gonna x your legs that way they'll let you have one? I ended up having one anyway after being 21 days over and being in labour for 30hrs!

Not long to go now. Let me know if you need any help with anything. My DS is 22months so he's close to your DDs age. Good luck.

Nikki xx
    LOL I had to go to Aberdeen, where they tried to induce me!
    Hmmmm nothing happened (told them in no uncertain terms no more after 3 attempts!) so ended up with 'elective' c-section at +15 days!
    Sorry for going off topic....back on now!
    My bounty slices look yum, just to melt and coat in choccie after tea :) Will take their photo and post later just to make you all drooooooollllll......... ;)
    Just had a lovely crafting afternoon at my friends :), DH looked after DS and I managed a NSD (just need to update sig). Think might 'let' DH go fishing tomorrow afternoon by means of fair exchange for him babysitting (he's off just now).
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hello everyone.

Is it too late to join? I would like to try a grocery challenge for £400. Last month I spent much more than that!!! But I want to try and use up all the items in our cupboards - there are rather a lot!

I am sure that the old hands will see that I have me, my darling husband, my son who is 18 months and my evil cat to feed and be shocked I am spending so much, but I hope to bring it down over a few months.

I have just had a Sainsburys order delivered, which the driver had been allowed fifteen minutes instead of the usual six for a 'drop' :o But the nappies for my little bear were working out at less than 6p each and even at Makro they are nearer to 10p each, so I bought two months worth :o Then there was the cat food for my evil cat, also cheaper than Makro because of the offer. My evil cat is very VERY focussed on food and quite elderly. She is even more evil if we try and tamper with quality or frequency of her food supplies.

So if it is alright to join, I will update my signature when I can find the receipt (and hide it from my dear husband).

( I am also looking forward to trying out the lovely recipes on the first page - my mouth is now watering!)
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Lol at least people think youre younger than you are instead of thinking youre older ;)

I had someone knock on my door yesterday who asked if she could speak to my mum or dad :rotfl: I said I am the mum in this house! but I think she thought I was 15 or something. :rotfl: :rotfl: She said oh you must be a very young mum then. I'm 26!! :rolleyes:

I've got some jam/preserve recipes I can post if anyones interested?

Nikki x
    Yes please :) DH loves jam and I have yet to try making any!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• enlli
    enlli Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hello

Can I join please? I'd like to set myself a challenge of £135 grocery shop for August!

Thanks,
    Enlli :rolleyes2
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    These recipes make enough for a normal 450g/1lb jar. To sterilise your jars just run them through the dishwasher on the hottest setting or wash them in hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly and dry in a cool oven gas1-2/140-150C. Add the preserve while the jar is still hot and seal it beneath a disc of baking parchment to shield it from the lid.

One Orange Marmalade

1 seville orange (think you might be able to use just ordinary ones but not sure, someone else might know better than me)
    500g granulated sugar

Halve the orange and remove & reserve the pips. Then quarter the orange and slice it finely. Pour 500ml water into a pan, add the orange slices and throw in the pips. Bring to the boil & simmer for 30mins. Fish out the pips with a spoon and throw them away. Add the sugar and return the pan to the heat to boil fairly rapidly for about 30mins, or until it reaches setting point.

To test for setting point, chill a saucer in the freezer for 10mins. Take it out and spoon a little of the marmalade onto the saucer. Return it to the freezer for 2mins. If its gone wrinkly and slightly jelly-like, you're there. If not continue cooking and test again.

This marmalade is really orangey and pretty sweet. You can make it sharper by adding the juice of half a lemon to the water or you can give it a kick with a grating of ginger before you start to cook it.

Gooseberry Jam

450g gooseberries
    450g granulated sugar
    juice of 1 lemon

Pour 200ml water into a pan and add the gooseberries, sugar and lemon juice. Boil rapidly for about 10mins and then simmer for a further 20mins. Test for setting point (see above).

You can use this method with any sort of fruit.

Lemon Curd

50g unsalted butter, melted
    2 large eggs
    100g caster sugar
    grated zest and juice of 2or3 unwaxed lemons

Beat the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and smooth, add the lemon zest and juice to the egg mix and whisk again. Now whisk in the melted butter.

Suspend the bowl over a saucepan filled two-thirds full with water then bring to the boil. Cook the curd stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it thickens considerably. This can take up to 20mins.

The way to tell if it has got to setting point is to watch for the spoon starting to leave a trail as you stir. The trail will be faint and disappears quickly but its unmistakable. chill the curd in a sterilised jar and leave for a couple of hours minimum before eating.
    You could substitite the lemon for orange to make orange curd using the same method.
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport