Energy Saving Grants

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
The Energy Saving Trust, the government set up body to help reduce our energy uses has a great wee tool where you enter your postcode, tell it which energy supplier you use and it tells you what grants are available for you. Worth everyone having a go.

Search for official offers and grants on energysaving here

While I'm at it, there's a couple of other things that will be worthwhile.

You can do an home energy efficiency check also with the EST

While I'm at it

Of course switching to the cheapest energy supplier is the biggest MoneySaver of the lot, so read my 'cheapest supplier in 5 minutes plus cashback' article
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Martin. I have a grant for a replacement boiler with Warmfront but its going to take up to 6 months, just great when we have only just got Winter and our boiler is packing in, I cant afford a new boiler. They do not account of peoples needs and I am angry as hell with them and DEFRA for not giving people with priorities. I have a disabled daughter with Motor sensory neuropathy and she can't stand for long periods but now she has to because we can no longer have baths amd now she has to have a shower. I am sure there are people in much worse state yet people die in this country because of the severe cold and sub standard housing when it can so easily be prevented.

I am sure this would be of enormous use for some people. Thanks.
  • The EST link is good and I posted it in a few threads a while back. The only problem as far as boiler changes go is I think you have no choice in what boiler you end up with, someone recently posted about that, I think.
  • tubster
    tubster Posts: 256 Forumite
    I found out about the warm front free central heating for low income people on this site. It has taken a couple of months for an inspector to come over; three weeks more for another inspection (this time by the contractor - why not do both at the same time with the same person?!) and he said it could be 6 weeks until the storage heaters are actually installed, as he had to send off all the paperwork etc. So four months from application. An operator at warmfront said that six months wasn't an unusual waiting time. Now as all this is free, it seems churlish to complain - next winter I'll be all set up - but it does seem unbelievably innefficient, because I could order a storage heater from Screwfix in 24 hours and all you have to do is screw it to the wall and plug it in. After the inspection, it really shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to order and find someone to install it. It would make more sense for the inspector to be an engineer; write out exactly what needs doing; and give the client some kind of voucher to spend with recognised local contractors, who could cash the voucher with the trust. That said, I would strongly recommend anyone with a household income of less than 15k to look into these grants, because they have recently been opened up to everyone, not just pensioners. I have worked out that the three storage heaters they will install, that will replace my oil filled electric radiators, which are on all the time because I have got two tiny children, will save me £400 a year. The claim process is very easy - just be prepared to be on a six month waiting list.
    Tubster
  • Nici
    Nici Posts: 122 Forumite
    I've just spotted the £100 grant for getting a new energy efficient condensing boiler. I hads British Gas out today quoting me for the work to fit exactly one of these. I know that £100 doesn't come even close to how much they charge but at lesat every little helps!
  • lasitha
    lasitha Posts: 12 Forumite
    I tried, but half way down the survey, I got this:

500 Internal Server Error
    java.lang.NullPointerException at uk.org.est.sense.web.action.HecQuestionnaireAction.persist(HecQuestionnaireAction.java:168) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2172.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324) at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.dispatchMethod(DispatchAction.java:276) at org.apache.struts.actions.DispatchAction.execute(DispatchAction.java:196) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:421) at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:226) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1164) at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:415) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.invoke(ServletRequestDispatcher.java:765) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.ServletRequestDispatcher.forwardInternal(ServletRequestDispatcher.java:317) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.processRequest(HttpRequestHandler.java:790) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHandler.java:270) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].server.http.HttpRequestHandler.run(HttpRequestHandler.java:112) at com.evermind[Oracle Application Server Containers for J2EE 10g (9.0.4.0.0)].util.ReleasableResourcePooledExecutor$MyWorker.run(ReleasableResourcePooledExecutor.java:192) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
  • Nici wrote:
    I've just spotted the £100 grant for getting a new energy efficient condensing boiler. I hads British Gas out today quoting me for the work to fit exactly one of these. I know that £100 doesn't come even close to how much they charge but at lesat every little helps!
    Please be very wary of British Gas. They quoted me £2300 to replace a boiler which also needed a bit of brickwork to change the flue, and to check my radiators, with a £100 discount on the work. A local plumber did the job for just £500 for everything, including the cost of the boiler!!!
    I hate to think of anyone spending more than they need.
    Bye for now,
    Paul

What colour is YOUR parachute?
  • davey210
    davey210 Posts: 915 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    The Energy Saving Trust, the government set up body to help reduce our energy uses has a great wee tool where you enter your postcode, tell it which energy supplier you use and it tells you what grants are available for you. Worth everyone having a go.

Search for official offers and grants on energysaving here

While I'm at it, there's a couple of other things that will be worthwhile.

You can do an home energy efficiency check also with the EST

While I'm at it

Of course switching to the cheapest energy supplier is the biggest MoneySaver of the lot, so read my 'cheapest supplier in 5 minutes plus cashback' article
    Sorry martin I work in the industry and know the offers available,this is not up to date :money: :xmassign:
  • JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    Martin's 'Search for offers' link isnt working for me.........anyone else?
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    potbelly wrote:
    Please be very wary of British Gas. They quoted me £2300 to replace a boiler which also needed a bit of brickwork to change the flue, and to check my radiators, with a £100 discount on the work. A local plumber did the job for just £500 for everything, including the cost of the boiler!!!
    I hate to think of anyone spending more than they need.

Good warning - I would never use them. They charged my gran £4,000 just to replace a boiler. Of course, she didn't question them - she's 75 and wanted a well-known company thinking they would be the best.

I got a combi-boiler central heating system fitted from scratch for £2,000 by The Combi Boiler Co. and they were very efficient.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • katyk_2
    katyk_2 Posts: 507 Forumite
    Hope this is the best place to put this - if not feel free to move it.
    I just received an email telling me of a (very poorly advertised) winter rebate from Scottish gas for customers on their gas/electricity bills. The rebate of £40 off gas and £20 off electric can be claimed if customers (or possibly people living in their home) are in receipt of -
    DLA (no info about different components)
    Severe Disability Allowance
    Pension credit
    War disablement pension
    Disablement pension
    Child tax credit - when total income is under £14,600
    Working tax credit - when total income is below £14,600
    Severe Disablement Allowance
    Council Tax Benefit
    Housing Benefit
    Income Support
    Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
    Carers Allowance
    Apparently there are no flyers available and there is nothing on the SG website (https://www.house.co.uk) Info needed to register is gas and/or elec reference numbers and which benefit is being received. Claims should be made on 0845 6032430 - open until 8pm Mon-Fri and 6pm Sat. Closing date is soon - maybe end december.
    I don't actually qualify but hope this helps those who will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure