July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• fedupnow
    fedupnow Posts: 931 Forumite
    *sigh*

Had lots of problems in June which meant a change in priorities. A family member being very very sick and needing my time to care for them meant that I spent lots on takeaways and fuel and generally everything in my budget went completely to pot. I don't begrudge a penny as it meant I was of help and comfort at the end of their life but it does mean I need to dip into savings to pay this months bills. So.... a determined effort to get back on track this month from me.

£183.21

Good luck everybody :D
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    More sun in sunny spain and I'm sat indoors with the blnds down like an ole lady.

Have dropped kids off at school with great healthy packed lunches full of HM goodies and fresh fruits.ds4 has an uniced bun filled with pate as I ran out of icing sugar but he ate 1 for lunch yesterday with tuna mayo so no waste there then.
    Been to gym ,busy drinking my body weight in water and have 1/2 mug of chicken and celery soup to hand 1/2 of which I gave to my neighbour as he has had a dental emergency - not good.

HM fishcakes and chips for tea then,roast beef & yorkies tomorrow and I'll make extra or mini toadies to freeze whilst oven is on.Need to top my bounty slice/bar well before the kids come home from school it is a great fave now.What vits/minerals does coconut have anyone?????

NSD for me even though I've been to the post office twice with ebay parcels and drove past 2 supermarkets I'm keeping my cents in my purse.

Keeping diluted fresh juices in a jug in the fridge 39c for 1 1/2 litres that is then made up to over 2litres cheaper than squash and healthier and diluting my milk for cafe con leche but had a disaster with watering down m uht milk so will only dilute when I buy fresh - not very often.I also keep lots of small refilled bottles of water in as with 3 kids I find them everywhere and is handy to pop in bag/car/hand for when we pop out.

Have a good day everyone,must go and do some repairs on a couple of ebay items before I list them.

annelouise

Kids break up Thursday so will bake bread,iced buns,twinks and cakes in rotation as I need to refridgerate most items as it is so hot and icing/chocolate melts.
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    fedupnow wrote: »
    *sigh*

Had lots of problems in June which meant a change in priorities. A family member being very very sick and needing my time to care for them meant that I spent lots on takeaways and fuel and generally everything in my budget went completely to pot. I don't begrudge a penny as it meant I was of help and comfort at the end of their life but it does mean I need to dip into savings to pay this months bills. So.... a determined effort to get back on track this month from me.

£183.21

Good luck everybody :D

Sorry to hear of sickness in the family, hope the person is getting better now. What an angel you are :A. Sometimes you just have to drop everything and do what needs to be done.

I'm sure you'll get back into the thrifty habit and be back on track. Good Luck
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone, what a horrible day, started to clean out all kitchen cupboards but now my knees are killing me, just having a little break,:think: made the muffins this morning I used some fresh peaches that were looking a bit wrinkly, they peeled easily, also made carrot & coriander soup for lunch. Taking notice of Mr Brown I wonder what he is having for lunch.
    Had to spend £2.00 on milk today, offer at the very cold shop £2 for 2
    Hope everyone has a nice day.
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Well I've been busy today doing loads of washing, cleaned the kitchen floor, have the ironing to do after I take DS back to preschool.
    I'll get some fish out for tea I think and I've a loaf of bread in the oven right now. Was going to make some twinks but shall do that later when I'm cooking tea. I thought the headache had gone this morning but it seems to be coming back slowly so I may have to get more paracetamol down my neck!
    NSD hopefully here. TTFN peeps!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • tq16
    tq16 Posts: 233 Forumite
    dink1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

NSD planned for today, am up early enough to pack myself up for work so should be nsd there too! Things going back to normal now MIL and FIL gone !!!! YAY!:T

Orkney star - You can do it, it will be anightmare at the new tesco!!!!!! there tried for you did that work? :rotfl:
    Floxie - welcome, feel free to ask any questions and let us know any tips/recipes you find on the way. AngelNikki has been taking care of us in Mrs M's absence (thanks angelnikki and prayers are with you Mrs M) you will need to put your amount for the month in red so that it can be added to the first page like the rest of us. I am sure you will get the hang of it.
    TQ16 - good to see you again hun, its nice to clean the cupboards, tiring whilst doing it but empowering dont you think?

Have a great GC day. DINK1

Dink1 - It felt really empowering, can't believe how tidy they are now I can actually see everything thats in them :-)

Any oat bran receipes anyone?????????
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Hope you've not gone to MrT OrkneyStar :p!! If you wait til later in the week to go there will be loads of whoopsies as they normally overstock when they open. So resist the temptation for now. You can do it! :D
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Does anyone have a quick gingerbread recipe ? or something similar that I could make ?

My recipe for gingerbread is upstairs and DS is having his nap so cant go get it but here's my recipe for gingerbread men. It makes loads aswell and my DS(21 months) loves them even though they are quite spicy. :)

Gingerbread Men

450g plain flour
    2tsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground mixed spice (you can miss this out and just use ginger as this makes them quite spicy)
    2tsp bicarb of soda
    115g butter
    100g golden syrup
    115g light muscavado sugar
    1 beaten egg

Mix flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb in a large bowl.
    Melt the butter, golden syrup & sugar in a pan and then pour onto the dry mix.
    Add the beaten egg and mix to form a dough.
    Roll out to 3mm thickness, cut out shapes and cook for 15-20 mins Gas6 until golden brown.
    Decorate with icing (optional)

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    good afternoon all

just off to make some twinks hobnobs and a few iced buns

hope everything goes well

talk soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• busy_mum_4
    busy_mum_4 Posts: 110 Forumite
    OrkneyStar DO NOT go to Tesco's
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • smetf
    smetf Posts: 261
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi all
    Having read messages last night and now I think i have caught up!!
    Hope my signature update has worked MSE being very slow for me at the mo.
    Am trying not to stress about the budget- pub meals and takeaways do add lots but seems silly to leave them out and I don't have a personal spends budget. Need one I think!
    Lovely weekend away though and the twinks hobnobs I took with me a big hit :p
    Came home with rocket and courgettes from garden too so a few menu adjustments coming up!
    Planning a small shop instead of big Tesco order this week to keep costs down, hoping to fit it in between dd waking up from sleep and the school run!
    Have sad apricots and some chopped up mango to use so might try some muffins with those.
    Happy GC this week everyone
    Smetf
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 6k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills