🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bargain Kitchen Revamp - discussion of bargains and ideas

Options
Hi all,

I've started this post as a continuation of Nottmscott's post on Quick buy it now for kitchen cabinet doors at a pound at B and Q:

www.diy.com

since a few of us seem to be revamping our kitchens on the cheap, I though we could a thread on ideas and bargains for our revamps.
I had started repainting all my cabinet doors in cream, but it's a bug*ger of a job and now I've spotted these I'm keen to get some real new doors as I don't think the paint will last. I'm using crown cabinet paint, put on with a roller - it does look good but I'm a long way off finishing.
Here's my kitchen before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatecaroline/2506641864/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatecaroline/2506641136/in/set-72157604155147127/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatecaroline/2506640328/in/set-72157604155147127/

I got some handles already like this:
5ad9_2.JPG

I'm planning on a new stainless steel sink - no bought yet, but some half price in B and Q, so going hunting for one when I look at doors

got a tap from ebay (30 pounds, instead of 129 in B and Q - Saturn)

going to keep the worktops unless someone can find cheap nice ones?

going to regrout the regular tiles and chip out the big 'orrible ones and replace with small mosiac squares.

Not sure whether to replace the oven and hob - I have second hand white one, but the oven is a bit wider (meant to go under cabinets not at eye lever) and will need a gas fitter to do the hob - no idea how much that would be

A new extracter fan in stainless steel would be nice (it's hidden behind a door thing now and very filthy - even mister muscle is struggling!)

Putting some of my mum's old vinyl on the floor...if it's not faded in odd places where the furniture is

We've taken out the breakfast bar and painted the bottom of the walls (but they've come out very turquiose - eek - might re do)

Need new blinds - venition?

Also need new light switches and sockets...

Anyone got sources or inspiration I'd really appreciate it!

Especially regarding the top bits of the cabinets - they seem to be glued on (and are now painted cream - will the go with wooden doors?)

thanks for the help and I hope others can get some inspiration!

Comments

• Bungarm2001
    Bungarm2001 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest at the mo is don't put venetian blinds in a kitchen. In my experience, unless you have bluddy good ventilation they get filthy with grease really quickly and you'll be forever cleaning them.

LOVE the cabinet handles by the way...where did you get them? :)

PS Hope you sanded down your cabinets well before painting....!
  • emujuice
    emujuice Posts: 930 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, bangram, I got the handles on ebay - cute aren't they? we're planning a tree mural on the wall eventually (after decorating the whole bluddy house probably!)

I washed them down with sugar soap and used cabinet paint...said that's all I needed to do...but like I say, I'm not convinced and want new doors - just wish I hadn't spent so long pulling the handles off (took forever) and painting them - they're not finished, so I think it's worth getting new doors as they'll be long lasting.

might look at a roller blind then, but fancied venetian because the kitchen is at the front of the house and is level with the street so everyone can see in :(
  • 1stclasscleaning
    Options
    hi ,
    i am agree with you , and you bought a very good handles .but what do you thing? wont you get problem in cleaning them , i think so you will come across the same problem as the time passes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport