PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Something special for vegetarian Xmas Day lunch

Could anyone suggest something just a bit special to cook for a vegetarian, (dairy OK), for lunch on Xmas Day?

Anything but nut roast! :-/

Thanks X
Nice to save.

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As a former vegaterian I still enjoy my favourite all time meal for Xmas lunch........macorini cheese & garlic bread :o ;D ::)
    OK, OK, I know it's odd but it's my favourite & when I was going through my vegaterian phase (all 7 years of it) my mum wanted something that wouldn't take up too much oven room or prep time as the rest of the family has turkey etc. I opted for pasta as it can be made in advance & just heated through, even in the microwave minutes before lunch. I'm really happy to get my favourite meal on Christmas day & mums really ahppy that it isn't anythign complicated, I would suggest finding out your guests preferences & seeing what fits your time scales & menu.

HTH & good luck..
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • There is a special edition of Good Food magazine at the moment - Vegetarian Christmas, costs £2.60.

In the past we've done nut roasts with a variety of sauces eg mushroom or red wine & cherry. We've also done filo pastry squares filled with veg - peppers mushrooms etc.

How about stuffed aubergines or peppers, fill with a mixture of tomatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, tomato sauce, top with breadcrumbs & parmesan.

Good luck!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I make SPANAKOPITA for my mum if shes with us at xmas, as she is a veggie. Its basically a greek pie made with filo pastry, spinach, feta cheese, lemon, onions. I have lost my recipe but i make it without one ;)
    It is absolutely delicious.
    Shes also got a thing for onion bhajis on xmas day;D
    Why not totally break with tradition and make a chinese or an indian meal with a selection of dishes?

modified for spelling - oops!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I make SPANAKOPITA for my mum if shes with us at xmas, as she is a veggie. Its basically a greek pie made with filo pastry, spinach, feta cheese, lemon, onions. I have lost my recipe but i make it without one ;)
    It is absolutely delicious.
    Shes also got a thing for onion bhajis on xmas day;D
    Why not totally break with tradition and make a chinese or an indian meal with a selection of dishes?

modified for spelling - oops!

can you give me some idea how to do this, i have a veggie s-i-l coming at xmas, and this sounds ideal.
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    try this link - just worth it for the music!!!
    http://www.lldzines.com/spanakopita/spanakopita.htm
    the recipe i had puts the zest of a lemon in it which i like because it cuts through the richness of the cheese.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    We always have a vegetarian Xmas dinner and normally do main courses like:

Stuffed mushrooms (do the stuffing with breadcrumbs, garlic, minced sunflower seeds or nuts, parsley and butter or marg.) baked in the oven

Quorn roast: it looks horrid but tastes quite nice - be careful of not overcooking as it gets too dry if cooked for too long.

Fresh ravioli in vegemince bolognese sauce.

Usual veggies: glazed carrots with honey and sesame seeds, buttered leeks, cauliflower cheese, sprouts with garlic and chili, roast potatoes, roast parsnips.

Stuffing, usually homemade sage and onion, but it could be broccoli and cheese or chestnuts and onions, anything that takes our fancy, we all love stuffing, and it can be a nice main course too.

Most years also we have Yorkshire puddings because we all love them.

Pudding: Panettone (bought) which it is the traditional Italian cake for Xmas.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • try this link - just worth it for the music!!!
    the recipe i had puts the zest of a lemon in it which i like because it cuts through the richness of the cheese.

Could you make it in advance...say the day before...or would the filo pastry go all soggy do you think?

Also, is it at all dry...would it need a sauce?

Thanks

(liked the music :D)
    Nice to save.

• Pudding: Panettone (bought) which it is the traditional Italian cake for Xmas.

Caterina

Thanks Caterina, some great ideas there :D

By the way....how do you serve Panettone? I've bought it a couple of times cos it looks sooo nice in the fancy box, but it usually hangs around for weeks and then gets used in a bread & butter pudding....seems a bit of a waste really. Had it served for Xmas Day lunch in Italy a long time ago and vaguely remember some pink goo coming with it? ???
    Nice to save.
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post

Could you make it in advance...say the day before...or would the filo pastry go all soggy do you think?

Also, is it at all dry...would it need a sauce?

Thanks
    (liked the music  :D)
    You could make it in advance, its not dry because it has some moisture from the spinach, its lovely cold or just at room temperature. Ive never had it with a sauce, but my knowledge of greek cuisine is limited to moussaka, stuffed vine leaves and olives. Maybe some olives to accompany it, or some pickle or chutney, but really its nice enough to stand alone,(preferably with me, on my own, so i can have as much as i like... ;D)
    the music on that site is something else! Check it out on the other recipes!!!
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    thanks for the link, will have a look.
    try this link - just worth it for the music!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure