5 star Madrid for under £40 per night

Options
(This is posted also on the Cheap Hotels Article discussion forum)

I've just booked a truly stunning deal with www.opodo.co.uk and got the 5 star Westin Place Hotel in Madrid for under £40 per night. I don't know what the date range is for this deal but here's how I got it.

I searched in June for one night, at the Westin, for one person. The rate that came up for a standard room was £51.67 - the cost of a 2 star hotel. When my eyes stopped falling out of my head, I clicked on the price. £51.67 for a standard, £81.67 for a deluxe. THEN I chose the standard room, and when I added it to the basket it said the price had DECREASED to £39.10 !!!!!!! So I went back and checked the price of the deluxe room. It decreases to £61.57 when you put it in the basket. A double room is £81.67.

If you search for multiple nights it only gives the £81.67 per night option. So I booked a series of one night stays for the four days I wanted. It's paid and confirmed through Opodo so as far as I understand that's the final price.
The normal rate is £265 per night. When I clicked on this option it said it included breakfast, which must be the most expensive breakfast in the world.
It may only be June, it may be a glitch, it may be all Westins. Definitely worth booking a city break.

Comments

• Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like you've got a bargain ! Just make sure you take all documents confirming that price with you when you go.
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good work all round, agathajun :wink:
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    5% back from Quidco too!

Have booked a night on 16/06, which will fit nicely with a possible little hop over to Marrakech.

So I have two choices now ...

16 EMA - MAD £5
    Stay at Westin £40 31 hours in Madrid
    17 MAD - RAK £25
    Stay in v cool hostel £40 for two nights (said to be as good as a 4* hotel!) 48 hours in Marrakech
    19 RAK - MAD £25
    Kill six hours in the airport overnight :o (or find cheapy hotel)
    20 MAD - EMA £15

Total £150 for three nights in MAD and RAK

... or ...

16 EMA - MAD £5
    Stay at Westin £40 for one night
    Spend next evening in Madrid (football is on tv!), then a few hours at airport until 6am flight
    18 MAD - EMA £5

£50 for two nights in Madrid!

Choices, choices ... x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    agathajun wrote: »
    (This is posted also on the Cheap Hotels Article discussion forum)

I've just booked a truly stunning deal with www.opodo.co.uk and got the 5 star Westin Place Hotel in Madrid for under £40 per night. I don't know what the date range is for this deal but here's how I got it.

I searched in June for one night, at the Westin, for one person. The rate that came up for a standard room was £51.67 - the cost of a 2 star hotel. When my eyes stopped falling out of my head, I clicked on the price. £51.67 for a standard, £81.67 for a deluxe. THEN I chose the standard room, and when I added it to the basket it said the price had DECREASED to £39.10 !!!!!!! So I went back and checked the price of the deluxe room. It decreases to £61.57 when you put it in the basket. A double room is £81.67.

If you search for multiple nights it only gives the £81.67 per night option. So I booked a series of one night stays for the four days I wanted. It's paid and confirmed through Opodo so as far as I understand that's the final price.
    The normal rate is £265 per night. When I clicked on this option it said it included breakfast, which must be the most expensive breakfast in the world.
    It may only be June, it may be a glitch, it may be all Westins. Definitely worth booking a city break.

One other thing to try :rolleyes:

Westin have a Best Rate Guarantee.

May as well give it a shot, if you are lucky you'll get 10% off :D
    The Opodo rate is about 10% of the real rate.:D but I bet that Starwood decline it though as their rates include breakfast..:rolleyes:

I've booked a weekend at the end of June, I did go through Quidco
  • u2o
    u2o Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    lets hope you dont need to constantly check out in the morning by 11am or whatever and check in in the afternoon every day!
  • dmg24
    Options
    It is also worth signing up to the Starwood Preferred Guest programme. Can't guarantee anything for a first stay, but always worth a try (I've accrued quite a few across the group now!) ;) x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • agathajun
    agathajun Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, and I'm glad someone else is already taking advantage of it. I've joined their preferred guest progamme, also because you can transfer points earned at a 1:1 rate to a frequent flyer programme on which I already have a lot of points, so that's great. I found their Best Rate Guaranteed claim form and am umming and aahing as to whether to let them know! I rang Opodo this afternoon and double checked with them that was really the rate and they said yes. But all paperwork is definitely coming with me.
  • dmg24
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, and I'm glad someone else is already taking advantage of it. I've joined their preferred guest progamme, also because you can transfer points earned at a 1:1 rate to a frequent flyer programme on which I already have a lot of points, so that's great. I found their Best Rate Guaranteed claim form and am umming and aahing as to whether to let them know! I rang Opodo this afternoon and double checked with them that was really the rate and they said yes. But all paperwork is definitely coming with me.

Good to know ... I found a few nights in July for £60, and as they are cancellable, I am tempted to book them.

My problem is that the flight back to EMA leaves MAD at 6.30am, and the underground starts too late to get me there for then. So I have a choice of booking an airport hotel, or sleeping at the airport! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

When are you going?
    My dates are 27th-30th June inclusive
  • hammy_the_hammer
    hammy_the_hammer Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Good to know ... I found a few nights in July for £60, and as they are cancellable, I am tempted to book them.

My problem is that the flight back to EMA leaves MAD at 6.30am, and the underground starts too late to get me there for then. So I have a choice of booking an airport hotel, or sleeping at the airport! x

it's a couple of years ago but the taxi fare was reasonable from central madrid back out to the airport ( i prefer the underground but needs must sometimes)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure