🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Holiday in Rome

Options
We're planning on going to Rome in May and was woundering if anyone knew of any good web sites to check out so we can try and plan what we want to see and do.

Plus any recommendations on hotels out there??

And any good places to find a map?

Thanks

Comments

• herman2811
    herman2811 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    Options
    For hotels, I'd recommend doing a search on venere.com - really helpful website with lots of good maps/reviews, and reasonable prices too (which you also don't have to pay in advance)
    Plus for 4% off, use code: BK5HX8W

I think it's a good idea to check out this website even if you find hotels cheaper elsewhere, as the descriptions and maps are generally better than other sites in my opinion.

As for actual maps.... they normally give you one when you check into a hotel there.

Hope that helps
  • sportyspice
    Options
    Thanks, will check our that site

x
  • altyfc
    altyfc Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    You can view the main attractions and where they are by following this link. Click on them for further details.

For hotels, click here.
  • sportyspice
    Options
    Have booked up a room at Lirico Hotel. Had some great reviews on trip adviser, so lets hope it's a nice hotel.

Any one else stayed there?
  • Tabmow
    Tabmow Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    The Tourist Info offices give excellent free maps - and all the main sights are within walking distance of each other. Use the buses around the centre rather than the metro, you can travel for up to 45 mins on the same ticket on more than one bus (even one trip on the metro and more on the bus - revalidate your ticket on the bus if you've been in the metro) - the metro has only a couple of lines cos every time they dig they hit something old and work has to stop. Don't miss the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. If you fy to FCO don't even think about a taxi. Take the local train to Roma Ostiense rather than the express to Roma Termini for half the price, then walk outside to the metro stop called Pryamide (you'll see why) and travel on to Termini in the metro. Make sure you buy a ticket in advance and stamp it in the yellow machines on the platform - no prisoners taken. And take people seriously when they say watch your pockets.
  • aimex
    aimex Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re Metro tickets, where do you buy them from? Can you buy them from the tube stations themselves? and also can you keep them after they are used or do you hae to give them in (want to keep them for proof of purchase). Thanks
  • fudgem
    fudgem Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    aimex wrote:
    Re Metro tickets, where do you buy them from? Can you buy them from the tube stations themselves? and also can you keep them after they are used or do you hae to give them in (want to keep them for proof of purchase). Thanks

There's a machine at the metro station, put the ticket through a slot as you go through the turnstile, you can use the ticket as long as you don't leave the station, ie different trains okay while you're down there, but when you come up, it's finished. I seem to remember there was a time limit but it was quite a long one
  • colmil
    colmil Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    My partner & I were disappointed with the shopping in central Rome and mentioned it to our trendy young man on reception.

He told us where he went, and we really enjoyed it, it was authentic Rome, and perfectly safe.

As previously mentioned, there are only two lines on the underground, A & B.

Take the southbound train, we got off at the third from last station, turn right, and there is a small shoppong precinct there, quite nice, then continue walking norrthwards, and there are loads of fashion stores, coffee shops. etc., we found a really authentic restaurant, where the spoon on Lynns espresso nearly stood up on its own!

Just remember that thr shops start close about 12.30-1pm so go early or late...I'm sure you will enjoy a real taste of Rome!
    Filiss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family