🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Funeral Planning

Options
This is a tough topic I think because of the emotions involved but here goes.

My mom has incurable cancer and has asked me to help plan her funeral as she has specific requirements. She basically wants no fuss and it to be as cheap as possible. She is not at all religious and does not want a vicker.

I have just got hold of a book called The Natural Death Guide, it looks interesting.

Has anybody got any ideas they would like to share :-/

Comments

• sheenagh_2
    Options
    Thanks Sheel hugs greatfully received. I am amazed how lovely you people are. Reading some of the other threads (gadgetman's sore and cracked nipples thing had me in tears) makes it feel really safe to be open here.

I thought about calling this topic 'Dead cheap' because I am clinging on to a sense of humour about it all. I thought it might be in bad taste though ???

I will look at the humanist thing because some sort of closure is need.

We don't want to use an undertaker because it is too impersonal and can't think of a way to get coffin to cemetery if anyone has any ideas it would be great.

Mom also wants to be environmentally friendly so we a going for a woodland burial site but do not know about coffin materials.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mum sheenagh.

I've attended many funerals as as Church Steward and they can be beautiful and comforting but only if the 'faith' means something to the person and family. Often people come to the church to bury their dead because they don't really know what their loved one would have wanted and therfore go for a "traditional religious" service. The church never turns them away but the fact that being in church offers no comfort to the bereaved and the vicar has never met the deceased is painfully obvious throughout the service and that is really sad. I admire your mum and you for being true to yourselves and wanting what is REAL to you.

You can plan this together and ensure that the day is what your mum wants and also has eliments that will help and comfort you. I'm sorry that I don't have any practical advice for natural funerals but wish you both a loving and peaceful saying goodbye.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I am really sorry to hear about your mom it must be really difficult time for you all whilst trying to plan for something you don't really want to happen.

I recently attended the funeral of someone who had died suddenly  was very young, the service did no justice at all as everyone was in such a state of shock to plan or think. I would say to make notes of what you would like to be said  & maybe find readings you & your mom may like read atthe service or who would like to read. There was this thread recently about readings at a funeral http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Doyouknow;action=display;num=1097840987;start=1#1 You may need tissues to hand though.

Another point which is about money saving is if people are wanting to send flowers for the funeral & live some distance away may be worth having a florist local to the funeral directorstelephone number to give to peole who wantto send flowers if your mom wants flowers, for the flowers I arranged I felt very ripped off at my local florist so I drove to one by the funeral directors & saved a lot for a nicer wreath as dontions were also requested it menst more money for the specified fund I had never understood flowers for funerals until this one & it seemed so right & the very least we could do.

Sorry I hope I haven't waffled on too much,

love mini
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    At my mum's funeral a member of the family and a friend of the family each said a few words.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • LittleMoo
    LittleMoo Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sheenagh,

You might want to have a look at the following sites, which have details of alternative coffins, such as cardboard coffins (with a wooden 'transporter' outer) and willow or bamboo coffins.

http://www.funeralsearch.co.uk/coffin-cover.php

https://www.naturaldeath.org.uk

http://www.environ.org.uk/sales/index.php?catid=254

http://freespace.virgin.net/heaven.earth/coffin.html
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    mymum died of cancer 10 yrs ago and we had time to organize her funeral .. all she wanted was to be buried in a plot that my dad would also be able to .. sounds simple doesnt it but what a palavour when it actually happened.. mum died middle october and the local cemetary was flooded so couldnt be used and as mum came from clydebank (just outside of glasgow) we tried there but they wouldnt let my dad be buried as he didnt come from the area. thats stupid i hear you say and so did we, so eventually we had mum buried in kirkintilloch were my dad came from but only because there was a family plot that would accomodate both my mother and father.. Things are never easy and its not like when someone dies that you have time to consider the options so as much planning ahead is great.. cancer is awful but it does give you the time to organise... not as someone once said to me ... to say goodbye ,, who the hell wants to say a final goodbye to the person you love, i never wanted my mum to leave especially as i was pregnant with my first child.
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • sheenagh_2
    Options
    Thanks for the amazing replys everyone. Every one has been a boost, both practically and for my heart.

Again Many Many thanks :) Sheenagh
  • blowmedown
    Options
    Hi, Sheenagh.
    I hope your mom i coping it is a difficult time. My mother in law died of cancer 8 years ago. My father in law remarried and now his new wife has the same cancer, life can be so cruel. There is another reason that I am placing this note, I am a Funeral Director. first of all the coffin a cardboard one is fine for Green burials somtimes the burial ground does specify which ones they allow, if you have chosen a place for mom to rest than it may be worth asking them they may well be able to supply you with one.

Transport: You can move a body without any real restriction so if you have an estate car or similar you are allowed to fetch your mom from a mortuary or where ever she may have passed away without much trouble. Your moms passing will be deamed an expected death and so will not require the involvment of the coroner. A doctor should sign the death certificate which will allow you to register the death and then organise the funeral. I am sorry I am rabbiting on but if you need any help or advice just post me a note and i will help ( that goes for anyone) :A
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if Blowmedown or another funeral director could answer the following questions for me please?

Why is embalming done, is it purely so that the body looks nice until he/she is cremated or buried?

Would someone who did not want to be embalmed need to make their wishes known in their will as well as informing their relatives?

Are we getting to the position where land for burial is so restricted that cremation will soon be the only option?

I attended the funeral of a friend where the 'service' was non religious but the words spoken were very moving and encompassed her life and interests. Would the person making this speech be from one of the funeral service team?

Thank you in anticipation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Try this site: https://www.green-burial.co.uk.

We've informed all our relevant family members that this is what we want for ourselves. We've even seen the place - Herongate Wood in Essex. However, it depends where you live/where your mum lives. Contact any of the organisations already mentioned - this is a growing idea and any funeral director will be able to point you in the right direction. I have a good friend who's a funeral director in York. I spoke to him about not wearing black - he says he wears grey anyway.

One of the biggest parts of the expense apparently is to do with the black limousines used to ferry mourners to and fro - you don't need those! Also, I'm mystified by the comment about embalming - embalming is NOT necessary and in any case, is not eco-friendly at all! And no flowers - none of those awful naff displays with 'M U M' in carnations...I'd much rather have a tree planted for me than expensive floral displays that only get thrown away.

Here's a poem you might like, by the Victorian poet Christina Rossetti:

When I am dead, my dearest
    Sing no sad songs for me
    Plant thou no roses at my head
    Nor shady cypress tree
    Be the green grass above me
    With showers and dewdrops wet,
    And if thou wilt, remember
    And if thou wilt, forget.

I shall not see the shadows,
    I shall not feel the rain.
    I shall not hear the nightingale
    Sing on, as if in pain,
    And, dreaming through the twilight
    That doth not rise nor set
    Haply I may remember,
    And haply may forget.

Best wishes

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family