PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Loss of power for 26 hours - is my freezer food safe?

Options
We have had a 26 hour power cut and didn't open the freezer.

Is the food safe?
An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.

Comments

• Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have a look at this website. It states that if you have a full freezer then the power can be out for 2 days tops before any problems arise. Read it and see what you think...

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/foodnut/09357.html

See also this website, just a little bit past halfway on the page...

http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/fcs/hotline.html
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Cuddle_bum
    Options
    Have you opened the freezer at all?? I would say if you have tne have a mass cook out and all the stuff that can be refrozen then refreeze and the stuff that can't.....well it's dinner round yours tonight lol

Also if you have got a full freezer it may be worth looking on your insurance policy to see if it is covered, if it is write down everything that is in it as it may be worth trying to claim the cost back

Hope it isn't too bad for you!
  • Cuddle_bum
    Options
    Sorry just noticed you say you didn't open it, i would of thought it would be ok then, it should be cold enough in there to keep it frozen.....as long as the freezer isn't over full

I blame the time, im still half asleep lol
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cuddle_bum wrote:
    Sorry just noticed you say you didn't open it, i would of thought it would be ok then, it should be cold enough in there to keep it frozen.....as long as the freezer isn't over full

I blame the time, im still half asleep lol

The fuller the freezer is the safer it should be.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • jmf
    jmf Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    We were without electricity for 23 hours last summer and the contents were fine as we hadn't opened the door.

There was also payment of £50 from United Utilities for loss of services. Make sure you receive yours.
  • saving-grace
    Options
    A few years ago we had a power cut of 26 hours. Everything in our chest freezer (unopened) was absolutely fine, still solid.
    We got a payment of £75 from our elec supplier as the power cut was more than 24 hours,but it didn't come automatically, we had to claim it. Check your terms and conditions.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was full and very cold, so think it should be OK.

Would bacon and sausages be OK? The power had been on for two hours when we got back.

Being in central Scotland, the main supplier is Scottish Power but pay EDF for our bill. Who and how would we claim compensation for loss of power? We ended up going out for the evening to find a place to get warm.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Damn thats a log time without power do you live in a remote area?

We had about 1 1/2 hours loss of power on New Years Eve I thought that was bad enough, messed up my pc too. Mind you it was only my street two others streets close by were fine
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poppycat wrote:
    Damn thats a log time without power do you live in a remote area?

We had about 1 1/2 hours loss of power on New Years Eve I thought that was bad enough, messed up my pc too. Mind you it was only my street two others streets close by were fine
    No it isn't remote, just unlucky and have a flimsy wire that connects about 50 houses. We saw it dangling in a puddle down a country lane close to us.

We had an 8 hour power cut the other week. We hadn't had a power cut longer than 2 hours before that.

Yet another reason we are wanting to move from this place.

It is so frustrating when you see people nearby having power and you haven't got yours:mad:
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    when we were lived in berwick upon tweed our electric was off for 48 hours. our freezer food was fine. we were sent a compensation cheque autimatically. you can also claim against your house insurance - check your policy.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family