Scam appears to be targeting over 50s/infirm

Options
I'm posting this on the over 50s board as I think more people from the group targeted are likely to see this than on the "scams" board.

My aunt was contacted by a company called Craftmatic, which sells adjustable beds. A couple of years ago she was approached by them while in a wheelchair to find out if she wanted to win a bed. She entered their competition and didn't here anything. Fast forward quite a long time and she receives a call asking her if they could pop round as she had won a £500 voucher instead and they needed to hand it over in person. They also asked her age and whether she lived alone, which rang alarm bells. In fact they phoned her several times, and always asked these two questions.

The family arranged to be there when Craftmatic called. Guess what, no voucher, just a sales presentation and someone in your home for three hours. Oh, and if you want the voucher you've got to fill out some survey for a month also.

Now, I'm not saying that their products are or aren't good, I don't know. I also don't have a problem with them selling to people who want a bed and realise they've received a sales call. But I do find ANY company that uses pseudo-competitions to gain access to the homes of the elderly or infirm diabolical.

Edited to add: the catalogue that the voucher is for - The UK World Gift Catalogue - is also on several websites as a scam itself.

The local Trading Standards have been informed.

Sorry for hijacking this board with my soapbox, I'll get off now!

Thanks for reading.
Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.

Comments

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi Margaret,

I hope you did not see my post as ageist. My aunt and I are not that different in age and our brains function fine. While age is presumably a key demographic for this bunch, the main problem with this company is that they seem to target people who live alone. For the life of me I can't see how whether you live with someone will be an indicator of size of bed as most of the people I know who live alone have double beds anyway.

However the phrase in my mind should not be caveat emptor, buyer beware; but whatever is Latin for winner beware.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • vivatifosi
    Options
    About the one brain cell, my daughter was talking about that yesterday. She says she'd like to get a hat which says 'It's my legs that don't work, there's nothing wrong with my brain!'

Margaret

Ha, ha I like that. Would go with the car sticker that my friend has. It says "You've got my parking space now do you want my disability?"
  • Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options
    Funnily enough I got one of those through yesterday from Craftmatic in the post telling me I had access to winning loads of money - all I had to do was order the free brochure and give my phone number.:rolleyes:
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can sort of remember seeing something somewhere about these kind of companies. If you ring them, and they come and see you at your own home, then it is classed as an invititation or something, and you don't get the usual cooling off period where you can change your mind and get your deposit back etc. So if you see their advert, ring them, and they come round and talk you into buying one, any deposit you get is non-refundable. Not sure, but something along those lines, so please beware!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • noratw
    noratw Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    the law will change in the autumn to make all contracts signed off trade premises cancellable, even if you have "invited" the sales person. I think there are details on the BERR webite. :cool:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately it seems anyone over 50 or disabled is seen by some sales "executives" as a sucker to be fleeced.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    [quote=vivatifosi;8808885]Hi Margaret,

I hope you did not see my post as ageist
    . My aunt and I are not that different in age and our brains function fine. While age is presumably a key demographic for this bunch, the main problem with this company is that they seem to target people who live alone. For the life of me I can't see how whether you live with someone will be an indicator of size of bed as most of the people I know who live alone have double beds anyway.

However the phrase in my mind should not be caveat emptor, buyer beware; but whatever is Latin for winner beware.[/quote]

I never said a word!!!!

However, there are many so-called 'competitions' offering holidays etc, but the only real purpose of these competitions is to get your name and address.

Don't be tempted!

BTW following my remarriage and as part of 'doing up' the bedroom, DH and I bought a new bed - a king-size, but we went to Dreams plc for it. You're encouraged to get on the beds in the showroom and try them out, something I doubt if you could do if you bought one in your own home.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • vivatifosi
    Options
    Crikey I can't believe the old thread is back!

A bit of additional info: we did get some additional calls from Trading Standards after the first post - so they did seem to be taking matters further. Haven't heard anything since though, and funnily enough, even this many months down the line didn't get the voucher or the gift catalogue either... Not that we're particularly surprised.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just passing through.......

It seems Craftmatic even get into trouible over the recruitment of their commission-only salespersons. Here's a link to an Advertising Standards Agency report:

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_44238.htm

A quick scan of the Internet shows complaints about these guys' sharp practices go back years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport