Gas Fire Now Has Blue Flames

Options
I noticed last night that the flames on my gas fire are burning blue, and I am sure they were yellow before.

I seem to remember having a discussion with a gas engineer in which the colour of the flames was discussed, and I seem to remember that blue might have been a bad sign.

If any gas engineers are reading this, please can they comment as to whether or not there is a problem?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When was the gas fire last serviced?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    i seem to remember, it should be a blue flame and not yellow.
    yellow is a sign of incomplete burning and a possible carbon monoxide problem.
    deadly.
    Get some gorm.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The ideal on a normal radiant gas fire in order of preference is blue, blue with yellow flickers, yellow so yes, sounds ok. Gas fires that are regularly used should be serviced properly every year IMHO.
  • Sailor_Sam
    Options
    As a basic guide, yellow is bad, blue is good.
    A good cowboy always drinks upstream from the herd.
    A good cowgirl always keeps her calves together.
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Some decorative gas fires are designed to have a yellow flame in order to simulate a real fire more accurately. Radiant fires should have a blueish flame.

By far the most important thing to look for is any sign of sooting on or around the fire. If you see any evidence of this, turn it off and do not use it until it has been thoroughly checked / serviced.
  • TimBuckTeeth
    Options
    It may appear more orange/yellow after it has heated up due to the firebricks or coals becoming red hot. A blue flame will be noticeable when first switched on but become somewhat masked by the glow when hot.

As mentioned above a yellow flame is not good and blue is normal. However if there has been a change then you should get it checked to make sure it is working correctly. Check that any vents in the room are not blocked.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would recommend getting a carbon monoxide detector like this one which we have:

http://www.trustcorgi.com/consumer/buyacarbonmonoxidealarm.htmx

...then you have the peace of mind of being warned if your gas fire (or any gas burning appliance) is likely to kill you by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Andy
  • septemberblues
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    i seem to remember, it should be a blue flame and not yellow.
    yellow is a sign of incomplete burning and a possible carbon monoxide problem.
    deadly.

Yep, absolutely right. I've got a leaflet in front of me now from CORGI about carbon monoxide poisoning............"A yellow orange flame is evidence of possible carbon monoxide presence" and "A healthy flame should be crisp, vibrant and blue".
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport