Argos Television Warranty

Options
2»

Comments

• tomitma
    tomitma Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine bought a Sony 42" and used it for 10 months before it broke down, of course Argos didnt want to know, they said she had to get in touch with Sony, Sony told her to get an independant TV repair man to write stating what was wrong with the TV, and cost of repair. To do this would have taken nearly a week to get the repair man, who wasent allowed to repair it until Sony said yes.

So what she did was she went into Argos, and bought the exact same TV, took it home, then she put the old one in the box and took it back into Argos and told them it was faulty. One happy lady. I must admit you have to be really angry to do this, but its worth knowing.
  • Ignite
    Ignite Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would write a letter to Argos enclosing a photocopy of the advert with mention of the 3 years warranty. Inform them that they have 14 days to get the matter sorted or that you will proceed with a small claims court action to recover the cost of the TV. Mention in the letter that at no time did they supply you with anything to send off to register the set and that failure to sort out the matter can be seen as a failure of theirs to honour their part of the purchase.

Send this as a recorded delivery.

Remember that your contract is between you and the retailer and not anyone else. In this case Argos are the retailer therefore under law, they are liable.
  • Scottyboy2k9
    Options
    Hey all, had same problem with my tv,sound but no display,and was reading through all your advice here.i called Argos regarding this as I had bought my tv on the premise of 3 years warranty,when I finally got through I was told it was only 1 year and you had to have signed up for the extra 2,I was never given any hint of this being the case. I was then told I would have to get an independent report done on the tv fault,and produce this report and my receipt in store and they would then decide if they would help me.i booked a report(£50),but decided to call into Argos on my way home from work.when I relayed this to the supervisor he said he had never heard of any process requiring a report on the fault,and that by law I was covered for up to 6 years under the sales of goods act for large electrical appliances. As my tv was 2 years old he said that as that is a third of 6 years,he would take the price paid for the tv originally,take a third off and refund me two thirds of the price.i went and got the tv and receipt,brought it back,Argos didn't even test it,refunded me two thirds of the original price and I put the rest to that and bought a brand new higher-spec tv.cant speak higher of the staff,they were fantastic in-store,as for their customer service hotline,awful......
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hey all, had same problem with my tv,sound but no display,and was reading through all your advice here.i called Argos regarding this as I had bought my tv on the premise of 3 years warranty,when I finally got through I was told it was only 1 year and you had to have signed up for the extra 2,I was never given any hint of this being the case. I was then told I would have to get an independent report done on the tv fault,and produce this report and my receipt in store and they would then decide if they would help me.i booked a report(£50),but decided to call into Argos on my way home from work.when I relayed this to the supervisor he said he had never heard of any process requiring a report on the fault,and that by law I was covered for up to 6 years under the sales of goods act for large electrical appliances. As my tv was 2 years old he said that as that is a third of 6 years,he would take the price paid for the tv originally,take a third off and refund me two thirds of the price.i went and got the tv and receipt,brought it back,Argos didn't even test it,refunded me two thirds of the original price and I put the rest to that and bought a brand new higher-spec tv.cant speak higher of the staff,they were fantastic in-store,as for their customer service hotline,awful......

Lucky you got a manager that didn't know what he was on about !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure