sun holidays - complaint

Options
advice please. my son has just got back from one of the sun holidays at the unity site at brean sands. and to say 'disappointed' is an understatement.

before they went they looked at the site online, and it said that everything was open, available to use, big new swimming complex opening that week. and?????

nothing was open, not a thing. the big swimming pool opening that week, wasnt even finished being built and the place was a building site with big cranes and building site stuff everywhere. the small 'pool', more like a large paddling pool was open, but it was so tiny and absolutely filthy, it was a health hazard.

I know the holidays are supposed to be relatively cheap (but add on all the extra things you have to pay for on top, and is it really that much cheaper??) BUT SURELY, IF THEY SAYS STUFF IS SOPEN, IT SHOULD BE?? because nothing was open, it cost a fortune to keep going out more than they would have.

he is going to make a formal complaint but isn't quite sure how to go about it and what he can expect to happen. any help please.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well leave a reveiw of the site on trip advisor for 1, what does he want to happen, does he want a refund or what, im guessing a refund or partial refund so write a letter of complaint to the owners
  • pip007
    pip007 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    When exactly did they go?? I have just had a quick look at the website and it states that the new water complex will be opening on the 19th May. There is a list with all the dates that the facilites are open on the website - to be honest I would have made a compliant there and then if there were things that were closed and I was expecting them to be open.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It also says the existing indoor pool will open 26 March 2011 so whether this is the paddling pool the OP mentioned
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    they were there week of 28th march and before they went, the holiday web site said it would be open that week. but while they were there,the signs on the building site said it would all be opening next year!!!!

i think some sort of refund would be acceptable - because the site looked so good and inviting, they even paid an extra £50 to upgrade to a better caravan: on the paperwork received from the site on booking, the small print (actually, the incredibly small print) said that that they would 'possibly be allocated a caravan on their 'sister' site', almost a mile away along the coast, that had no facilities, but they could still use the facilities and attractions on the main site. looking at the sister site online before hand, it was nothing more than a glorified camping site: an upgrade guaranteed them the main site.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would have complained whilst there!
    but also an email and in writing now
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2011 at 9:35PM
    Options
    I just had a look on the site and it seems to say a lot of things would be shut the week your family went. A lot of facilities such as bars, restaurants, go carts, hire centre, land train, horse riding, bingo do not open until Easter onwards at weekends and then daily in high season. This is also stated in the online brochure. The funpark also shows as being closed except at the weekend. The funpark is not included in the holiday cost as residents it seems have to pay £17.99 (adult) and £8.99 (kids) per day.
    http://www.hru.co.uk/facilities
    http://www.hru.co.uk/funpark
    http://www.hru.co.uk/userImages/PDFS/UnityBrochure_2011.pdf

Although the website says phase one of the water park will not open until May, The online brochure says April 2011 and an earlier web page says it should open end March 2011 which your family probably looked at when booking some time before, so I would think that it should have been open on 31st March, although it does appear that this is not included in the holiday price as park residents who are not caravan owners have to pay an entrance price per session.
    http://www.hru.co.uk/news_details&article_baseid=371

As the website and brochure states that a lot of the facilities would be shut except at weekends and your family went during the week, I doubt they would consider a refund on those grounds. I know the new waterpark was not included in the holiday price, but I think your son could email to say he and family were very disappointed that they were not informed in advance that the opening date for this had changed as this was the main reason he had booked the site and dates. He could also complain about the level of cleanliness in the site pool and the fact that he had to live beside a building site for the duration of the break. A quick search using google says Richard House is the Holiday Resort Unity Managing Director. It may be worth dropping him an email. Usually company emails are the first name.surname @company name so looking at the admin email I would think his email may be in the same format i.e his name with a fullstop between first name and surname@ hru.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure