PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where can I buy household ammonia?

Options

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All that Jazz in Stockton Heath probably has it!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I eventually bothered a member of staff at Boots who kindly rumaged through her drawers and blew the dust off a bottle for me! My tank is now cycled and ready to house some lovely fish. :j
  • fletcherbrian
    Options
    tonyhamm wrote: »
    The only reason I can think that its been pulled is that its easier to make a bomb out of.
    You are correct about the bomb making causing the supply problem.
    I want to use it to unclog printer cartridge heads.
    Alchohol doesn't work, apparently ammonia does the trick.
  • marybryant
    Options
    I've found this rather old thread but want to tell everyone about the uses of Ammonia. I buy mine in Tesco's (on the end of the aisle where the cleaning stuff is), and it's dead cheap. It's a miracle cleaner. Pop your diamond ring into a few drops with warm water in an egg cup for an hour, brush with a baby toothbrush and it will sparkle - this was a tip from a jeweller. Put 3 tablespoons in a litre of water and use it to clean tiles, stainless steel, worktops, kitchen cupboards, glass (amazing!), mirrors, floors, etc. etc. Just rub it on with a sponge and polish dry with a cloth - no smears, no fuss, no hard work. Although I haven't used it for stains, it's apparently amazing at getting rid of stains. (There are instructions on the bottle). I don't know what I'll do if they stop making the stuff, but I suspect most household cleaners (at 4 times the price) probably include ammonia . . . This is the best money-saving tip that I know!
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2011 at 4:42PM
    Options
    I can't find it in my local tesco's, wilkonson's or boots. boots online seems permenantly out of stock. I need to remove some verdigris from a brass (decorative not food use) plate.
    I need some borax too and the spotty oik in wilkinson's didn't know what I was tlaking about, but his almost equally as spotty manager told me they stopped selling it due to lack of interest.

I've found some ammonia AND borax on amazon of all places. free delivery too. not super duper cheap, but as you don't use much at a time I suppose it is cheaper lol. pretty soon my kitchen sink will be flowing nicely and my brass plate sparkling.
  • Cluaranone
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I bought some at Homebase;) I've yet to find a use for it mind you.

CLEANING YOUR OVEN - The easiest way EVER!

Begin by preheating the oven to 150 degrees (or your lowest setting available). While the oven is heating, put on a pot of water to boil. Once the oven has reached 150, turn it off and pour 1 cup of ammonia into a heat safe bowl or baking dish and place it on the top rack of the oven. Place the pot of boiling water on the bottom rack, close the oven door, and leave them both in the oven overnight.

The next morning, open the oven and remove both the bowl of ammonia and the pot of water, keep the ammonia – you’ll use it later. Remove the racks and leave the oven door open to air out for 15 minutes. Add 1-2 teaspoons of dishwashing liquid to the ammonia, along with 4 cups of warm water, and using a heavy-duty nylon scrubbing pad dipped in the ammonia mixture, begin to wipe away the softened grease and grime along the sides and bottom of the oven.

It should be a fairly easy job at this point. Wear some kitchen gloves, since ammonia can be caustic to skin. Rinse/wipe clean with a damp cloth.:p
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cluaranone wrote: »
    CLEANING YOUR OVEN - The easiest way EVER!

The next morning, open the oven and remove both the bowl of ammonia and the pot of water, keep the ammonia – you’ll use it later. Remove the racks and leave the oven door open to air out for 15 minutes. Add 1-2 teaspoons of dishwashing liquid to the ammonia, along with 4 cups of warm water, and using a heavy-duty nylon scrubbing pad dipped in the ammonia mixture, begin to wipe away the softened grease and grime along the sides and bottom of the oven.

:p

it is a good method for clearing the grease but when you open the door, make sure you keep your head away from it because the initail fumes can make your eyes water ;)
  • kiribella
    Options
    B&Q stock it.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to add, the sort of little hardware shop that has loads of plastic crates on the pavement outside and things like potato peelers and tea-strainers inside, is usually a good bet.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow, this is an old thread. Seems odd to bump up a thread that was originally started in 2009 and hadn't been posted on for over a year, just to say that B&Q stock it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure