Letter from Hillside Services

Options

Comments

• Rummage
    Options
    My wife received one of Hillside's "yellow slips" yesterday, but I'm worried because it was addressed to her directly.

We have never been late with any repayments on any sort of money owed, ever, and my wife even works for a high street bank who we get regular financial advice and services from.

(Not that I'm sure geography comes into this sort of thing, but we have lived in the South-West of England all of our lives, too - hundreds of miles away from where I imagine Hillside Services Limited would typically operate.)

I'm concerned that this company may start hassling my wife over some imaginary debt now, whilst I'm out at work.
  • yosoy
    yosoy Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I am fed up of getting mail like this. Today I got one of these yellow slips, I've had some similar postcards lately, last week it was a 'parcel delivery service' who, when I rang them, were interested in locating a 'John B' who they said it was addressed to. We have had many letters & callers asking if we know this 'John'. The personal callers seem to think he lives next door (which he doesn't). I do know my neighbour has a history of debt, but other than that he's a nice guy - but I'm fed up of being grilled by people as to who lives there. They can hassle him all they like, but I'm not happy that now they are starting to hassle me, who is, and has always been, tankfully debt-free. How do you get rid of these people!?
  • Rummage
    Rummage Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Fortunately, my fears were unfounded; we've heard nothing from any debt company or similar since my post in late February [see above].

As to how you get rid of them, I've no idea. I'm half expecting to hear from them or a similar company again at some point in the future, because I'm sure these kinds of businesses get their info from marketing surveys. :mad:
  • kittykat500
    Options
    My mum has received two of these yellow letters from Hillside in the last couple of weeks. It was addressed to the Occupier. She owns her own house and has lived there for over 40 years. She has no debts but is now worried that they have sent a second letter out. I told her I would investigate on the internet and advised her to bin any other letters that she receives. Any idea why she has been targetted?
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Write to Hillside or phone them and explain the situation.

Failing that, contact Trading Standards. It is not acceptable for debt collectors to address communication "To the Occupier":

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_factsheets/harassment_of_people_in_debt_by_creditors.htm

Office of Fair Trading Code of Guidance

Many activities could count as harassment. It is important to note that “anything done by a person which is reasonable” when trying to recover a debt, is not considered to be harassment. Both the Office of Fair Trading and Trade Associations (run by the credit industry) have produced guidance on what activities may be considered harassment and should therefore be avoided by creditors. The following list is taken from the new Debt Collection Guidance for holders of consumer credit licences.
    Creditors are warned by the Office of Fair Trading under the Debt Collection Guidance that the following practices are "considered unfair":

“ DEALINGS WITH DEBTORS ARE NOT TO BE DECEITFUL AND/OR UNFAIR.”

Examples include:
    • Sending letters addressed to “the occupier” or discussing the debt with someone without knowing if they are you
    • Refusing to deal with an adviser acting on your behalf
    • Not accepting reasonable offers or passing on payments you make
    • Refusing to freeze action if you dispute the debt.
    There are some useful instructions on that website on how to proceed if you experience this kind of problem.
  • aderynyto
    Options
    I have had a phone message for my daughter from Hillside Services and couldn't find a website for them, but I got on to your website and found other people who had received communication from them.
    I decided to ring them. They told me that they were a mail forwarding service and that some letters sent to her in University had been forwarded to them - which sees very strange. I asked them how they her phone number and they said they had got it from the book. She is not in the book. I told them that I would not pass on the message to my daughter. They then said they would pass the letters on to our address. If they are a debt recovery service (which is possible knowing my daughter), why are they saying that they are a mail forwarding service I wonder?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aderynyto wrote: »
    If they are a debt recovery service (which is possible knowing my daughter), why are they saying that they are a mail forwarding service I wonder?

Companies like this wouldn't know the meaning of honesty - they are scum and deserve to be treated as such.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • balletmaniac
    Options
    I received a yellow slip in the post this morning from Hillside Services Limited, addressed to The Occupier. I don't owe any money, so I knew they had the wrong person. It turns out they are looking for someone who used to live next door to me.

A few months ago I received a call from someone looking for the same person who Hillside are trying to trace. At the time I told them they had the wrong number. They asked me to confirm that I lived at a certain address which was actually next door to me. I explained they had the wrong property and that the person had moved out anyway. They called about 3 times after that, but the final time they actually said they realise I live next door and asked if I'd seen my neighbour recently.

The phone number Hillside gave on the yellow slip went through to voicemail asking for a name and phone number. No way I'm leaving them my details. I checked the internet and found a website with their switchboard number, which is 01484 722995. I recommend dialling 1470 before this to withhold your number.

When I got through, they asked if I was the person who I assume they had been phoning about previously. I explained they had the wrong address and that I was not happy about this. They said they will fix it on their system.

I asked what they do and was told they are a confidential messaging system. I asked what that is, but the woman refused to tell me. I also asked if it was about a debt, the woman said no, it concerned some mail they were trying to deliver.

In the meantime, I'm going to complain to the CSA (Credit Services Association), which Hillside are a member of. They have a code of conduct which I believe Hillside have broken.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the meantime, I'm going to complain to the CSA (Credit Services Association), which Hillside are a member of. They have a code of conduct which I believe Hillside have broken.

Hillside are obviously ashamed of admitting what they do, yet they want to know all about you. :mad:
    As well as breaking the CSA code of conduct, they are also in contravention of the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, by contacting people with the same postcode in the hope of contacting the alleged debtor:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

If you feel that they have contravened any of the guidelines, then you can report them to the Trading Standards Office.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • gabrielle_2
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    I received a letter from Hillside Services limited addressed to 'The Occupier' saying that there is a message waiting for me and that I should phone the number on the letter, quote a code and listen to it.

I put the companies name into google and it seems to be a debt recovery agency. I have no credit problems at all but the previous owner of my flat did (I have owned this for 3 years) - I keep getting 'consolidate your loan' letters and last year the council sent one saying that they would set a debt recovery agency on the previous owner if a library book wasnt returned (a quick phone call sorted that out).

Has anyone heard of this company and should I call the number on Monday or just leave it? I am tempted to call just to see what its about to be honest.
    My mother received such a letter,I phoned them direct to their switch board on 01484722995 they wanted my name and phone number so they could phone me back which i refused,i dug my heels in and got a bit stroppy and eventually spoke to someone.They disguise themselves as a messenger service,i accused them of being a debt collecting agency and after a while they said they were a financial service company.I gave them the reference number on their form,and the name they were looking for was someone elses.They were fishing the area,looking for someone. When you phone them block your own number,don't be affraid to give them their reference number,and you will then find out what they are looking for.Never give out any personal details. They promised to take my mothers address off their system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure