Route, no motorways or dual carriageways.

Options
2»

Comments

• meester
    meester Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Options
    LesD wrote: »
    Google tries! Tick the 'avoid highways' box and it will produce a non-motorway route.

However, for this trip, I think the best solution is:

Shipley - Guiseley - Wetherby - York - Beverley - Hornsea.

(Have fun getting through York!!!)

hmm, not sure

Shipley, Guiseley, Boston Spa, Tadcaster, Bubwith, Beverley, Hornsea
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly what belfastgirl says.

It is mad to refuse to use dual carriageways.

A dual carriageway is far easier to drive on than a single carriageway road. Simply ignore the outside lanes and drive in the left-hand one. You won't annoy other drivers by pootling along a single carriageway road at 40mph, because on a dual carriageway they can overtake you.

And on the best dual carriageways (and all motorways) you have far less hassle from people joining the road and nobody trying to join it from the wrong side (turning right in front of you).
  • meonline
    Options
    May be she doesn't WANT to 'fix' the problem?! May be she isn't inerested in some patronising driving instructor telling her that her fear is 'irrational?!' Perhaps his wife only learnt to drive to do the school run and collect the weekly shop and is usually more than happy driving round town where it causes her no problem! In which case, what is wrong with her wanting a rural route for a one off trip?

Personally I think if you are cautious of mororways maybe you should avoid them. I don't mind dual carriage ways at all, but I can see how some are set out like motorways, and most of us who don't like these major roads, don;t like them because of the slip stream of getting on, not actually being ON the road. I hate motorways, use them very rarely for this very reason, and would happily take a longer route! I would how ever go on a dual carriage way, many of them are on by round about, and those which aren't are rarely as busy as a motorway; thus there is little filtering in to the traffic required.
    But if she doesn't like dual carriage way either? Well that's her perrogative. I hope she finds a nice, easy pleasurable drive rather than putting her self under undue stress. And I hope she never takes those stupid motorway driving lessons; they did me no good at all! Whooppee so you feel comfortable driving on a motorway with someone next to you making and confirming decisions... how on earth does that help once you're out on your own??? I think it's just a case of waiting til you're a more confident driver, or, if you plain don't like it... get a good sat nav :-D Mine is well trained to avoid Motorways, lol.
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This thread is from July 2008.....
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    This thread is from July 2008.....

Perhaps "meonline" has been reviewing and re-wording thier post since then as the initial drafts came across as too angry? :cool:
  • Tedliplegress
    Options
    You fail to mention that Hideout Leathers are also on part of the route Grin

Which bends are you referring to?

Shack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family