Grout turning orange

Options
Just wondering if anyone might be able to tell me why our grout is turning an orange colour.

It is only where we actually shower so the rest is ok.

When we moved in about 2 years ago I retiled the bathroom myself and it all went ok. So i dont think there is any problem with the grout.

I think it is because of the shower gel etc that we use.
Also is there anything to get rid of the colour? My gf has used different cleaning products but it does not work.
Jeremy
Married 9th May 2009

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to my plumber it's due to iron in the water. I find this strange as I certainly don't remember seeing it when I was young.

Still, I find it comes off if you use something like bathroom Flash.
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jem8472 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone might be able to tell me why our grout is turning an orange colour.

It is only where we actually shower so the rest is ok.

When we moved in about 2 years ago I retiled the bathroom myself and it all went ok. So i dont think there is any problem with the grout.

I think it is because of the shower gel etc that we use.
    Also is there anything to get rid of the colour? My gf has used different cleaning products but it does not work.

We get this with our shower and i use domestos every so often and it bleaches the grout white again.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably some kind of mould. Dettox Mould and Mildew Remover will shift it. The bottom of our shower curtain goes orange too - it's not at all attractive and we have to replace the shower curtain regularly.
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • jennifernil
    Options
    I find washing the shower curtain on 60 degrees gets it clean again.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a fungal spore and the easiest solution for it is good old-fashioned thick bleach.
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    The orange deposits are ....body fats and therefore your own filth. The shower area can be sparayed with special bleach based product. We use Dettol in a green spray. Works great and smells beautiful (if you like bleach).
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    PS: for the shower curtain, it's the same. A good wash at 60c with bleach brings it back to normal (we do this for our shower as it was made by hand as commercially available curtains were too short).
  • jinnywren
    Options
    Use Cillit Bang. Brill stuff for cleaning shower & glass screen. Only thing effective for me but make sure to ventilate well when using.:j
  • Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for all the answers
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • Scarlet_Fever
    Options
    i spray mine with a sterilising fluid (milton or other) which is a kind of bleach....
    Willow: I knew it, I knew it, well not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure