Nearly there!

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done January ... Must be a great feeling .... *wonders what an electrician could look like phwor :) *
  • Mort
    Mort Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just seen you post on the Debt Free Roll of Honour. Congratulations.:beer:
    Proud to have dealt with my debts, became debt free on 03/11/2011. Repaid £54,723.41 LBM May 2006.
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour #504
    Mortgage Free from October 2019
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wow, I'd like to take that credit, but January is a debt busting machine! :D

If anything, I was trying to pace her repayments and hook up with the electrician! :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl:Oooh, I'll really have to read this thread soon, I'm intrigued ;)
  • January20
    January20 Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't forget to add yourself to the Debt Free Honour Role :)

Done! :rotfl::rotfl:
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    Hi January,

I'm from over on the Pay All Debts By Christmas 2012 challenge, and I also saw your post on Debt Free Roll Of Honour and saw that you had a diary so I've subscribed to it and am going to read it through to see how you've managed to get to debt free status.

So once again, very well done to you for achieving debt-free-ness.

Having had a quick scan of this thread I notice that Greensaints has been major encouragement in your journey so I'd just like to say very well done to you too Greensaints for being there for January during the journey.

GreenSaints - although she won't admit it - has been a GREAT help. It has been incredibly useful to speak to her, to discuss things with her. She has supported me when I've needed to and she has paced me when I've tried to go too fast! And just having her reading my diary has helped me. I hope I achieve the same with her diary.

I will list the things I did to become debt free in a following post if you want, to see if I can help anybody.
    elantan wrote: »
    Well done January ... Must be a great feeling .... *wonders what an electrician could look like phwor :) *

The electrician was alright looking :rotfl::rotfl: but not my type and about 15 years too young :rotfl::rotfl: But it seems he did an excellent job of repairing my shower (fingers crossed), charged me £30 only, but has told me that if I want the extra work I need done in the flat he will have to install a rcd fuseboard, and that will cost me slightly more (about £200 for that alone :eek:), so I'm going to save up some money (get me!!!!) and get him to do it early summer unless............ I find a good-looking, single with no children electrician to do it before that :rotfl::rotfl: (I think I have more chance of winning the lottery!)
    LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 March 2012 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Kerfuffle, I started this diary rather late in the day on my debt free journey so I am concerned you will not find very much info about how I did it, so here is a post to try and tell you:

First, I have been a single mum to my dd for about 12 years now, and my career path has been bumpy - even more bumpy than my road to DF (@GReenSaints ;)) For these reasons, it has taken me so long (nearly 6 years to get debt free) as I didn't have lot of money, and sometimes wasn't paid everymonth, and I didn't want my dd to do without too many things, so being DF took a back seat occasionally (but perhaps it is like a weight loss program - better to be slow and effective than fast and put all the weight/ debt back on?).

I discovered this site just before Easter 2006 but it took me until August 2006 to get my LBM. At the time, I was sinking fast into debt and I acquired a default that is a painful reminder of those days.

I took control of my finances: initially, I created a spread sheet for all my debts with balance, interest and repayment plans.

I then created a spreadsheet with all my outgoings ie all the regular bills, but it also lists my income (and back in the day the CTC and CB). I worked out how much I had to spend after all the bills were paid. At the beginning, I had 2 loans, 3 credit cards and 1 large bill for roof repairs (not my choice: management company)

In the years that I have been on MSE, I have spent a lot of time reading stories of people in debt, people in much worse debt than me, how they got out of it, etc. I got comfort from knowing I wasn't on my own. I learned tips and how to be really in control of my situation.

I started making more use of the online facilities on my current account. I now check my account every day or every other day. I need to know what goes in and out, I can't rest if I see a transaction I don't recognise so for this reason, I also save all my receipts and I have another spreadsheet for all my spendings, separated into categories: foods, toiletries and household stuff, petrol, car repairs, clothes, entertainment and general spending. I never buy anything without thorough research first. I buy second hand if I can ie books, I always buy second hand books.

The mistake I made: I should have started a diary much earlier but the truth is I was ashamed to be in debt. I told no-one in real life, my dd has just found out, and I think I started to come clean on MSE towards the end of last year, when I could see the end was near.

THE END ;)
    (not like me to write such long posts lol)

I may start a mortgage-free diary at some point, but there will be some changes in my work in the next few months, and I have been assured I would know my fate by the end of May so until then I will just relax a bit and save some money! And carry on writing on this diary and on GreenSaints' diary too.
  • GreenSaints
    GreenSaints Posts: 718 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks January :D

I love reading this diary and it keeps me motivated and focused. Of all of the diaries on here, this is the one that is none boastful (apart from the DF announcement ;)) and is honest in the sense of being realistic (not eating beans on toast every night just to have extra money to pay towards the debt)

So, is this diary going to be about budgeting and hot tradesmen from now on? ;)
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *sit's down excitedly anticipating the description of good look workmen that will soon be visiting January *

nice story of your journey January , looking forward to the mortgage one now ... are you gonna stay here or go to the mfw boad ?
  • January20
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 March 2012 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Ooooh! GreenSaints and Elantan! another challenge for me: searching for hot tradesmen!... :rotfl: I do need some work in the bathroom too so a hot plumber could be such a coup! :rotfl: I suppose getting taken out on dates could be a cheap way of going out, couldn't it?

Elantan, I don't know whether I will stay here or go. I'm not so familiar with the MF board so will have to have a proper look but at the same time carrying on with this diary is tempting, and after all a mortgage is a debt isn't it? (just repeating what I read in ML's article about becoming mortgage free) I suppose if I stay here, there is not so much pressure on me to perform. I feel that although I would love to be mortgage free asap I also need to enjoy life. And save some money!
  • GreenSaints
    GreenSaints Posts: 718 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You can't abandon me! :(

Or, if you do, let me know what your new diary is so I can continue to stalk you! :p
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
  • KONG
    KONG Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Congrats and well done! Now use your money wisely and save up! But dont forget to live life also and feel free. Sometime money can get you stuck!

Big hugs from Denmark!
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" Member No. 938
    "Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2011" Member No. 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills