Am i insured without an MOT? Advice needed!

Options
Hi,

I work up last week and found that my car had been stolen from my driveway. I've had the car since August 2010 and originally paid £17k for it.

When i contacted the insurance company they asked me for my MOT certificate. I believed this was in the car when it was stolen and advised the insurance company that i thought this was the case. I then contacted BMW, where the car is serviced to check if they had a record of the MOT as i needed a copy of the certificate. Unfortunately they advised me that the car was due an MOT in October 2010, 4 months ago!

As you can imagine i'm now having palpitations about this over-site and i'm seriously concerned over how this will effect my insurance claim.

I'm getting mixed reviews on whether i will still be covered or not.

This is a genuine claim and i've always made sure my tax mot and insurance is covered, but this time it seems that i missed this detail. I want to be honest with the insurance company but i'm sure, like most, they would prefer not to pay me if possible.

Can anyone tell me the facts around whether my car is covered without an MOT or not? The car was in absolutely mint condition and i can get my recent service record from BMW proving its condition(i had just spent £600 on a service!)

Please help as i'm losing sleep over this as i had saved for so long to buy the car in the first place.

Thank you!
:eek:

Comments

• Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    Options
    What does your policy say?
  • johnnyroper
    johnnyroper Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    Options
    not 100% sure but i have been told previously that even with expired MOT the car is still insured,although the insurance company will most likely offer less than they would if it had MOT.

As above you need to have a good read of the policy docs as all ins companies have different restrictions/conditions.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The good news is that you are covered without a MOT irrespective of whether the policy specifies whether or not you must have one.

The bad news is that without a current MOT the write off value is less than a car with an MOT, they typically pay the "Trade" price which is circa 20% lower.

The other bad news is that not having an MOT on a stolen car rings alarm bells with Insurers as it can signify a fraudulent theft claim eg the car needed a lot of work for the MOT so the owner had the car stolen to claim on the Insurance. So the Insurers will probably investigate the claim more thoroughly than normal.

Do not be tempted to lie to them as they will probably find out
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    Regardless of what the policy says - you are still insured without an MOT, your insurance company may tell you otherwise so be prepared to fight them.

They will value your car at a slightly lower amount due to no MOT
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    All other things on the car being ok, you will still be insured without an MOT no matter what your policy says.

The only time you are uninsured is if your car is unroadworthy AND the unroadwrthy condition causes or contributes to the accident, eg bald tyres in the wet, or defective brakes.
  • travman1979
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your re-assurances.

I feel like i may at least get a few hours sleep tonight :)

ill update this thread once i get a final responses from the insurance company.

Thanks Again!
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your re-assurances.

I feel like i may at least get a few hours sleep tonight :)

ill update this thread once i get a final responses from the insurance company.

Thanks Again!

In 6 weeks then.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    More like 12 months. After the OP has taken them to the Ombudsman

Keep us updated OP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing