Ssp about to run out

Options
Please could anyone give me some much needed advice on the following.

My husband went off work originally in middle of June with depression which aggrevated his psoriasis, he returned to work bout 20th August to get his sick money and we went on hols and when we returned he went back to work but his psoriasis had got that bad he'd got it on his hand and made them bleed and he then went back onto sick as he works in a factory producing packaging for food and obviously it wasnt very good and hygenic.

Well anyway as these complaints are entwined with each and makes each thing worse.

He then had an accident and fell and damaged his knee at end of september and it was thought he'd need it operating on but cos of his skin they couldn't as it would become infected.

He's having physio for his knee but might not get better and he also goes for puva therapy for his skin 3 times a week oh and uses a walking stick.

Strewth I'm making a right hash of this but please bare with me.

His SSP runs out on 1st Feb and we're unsure what he's entitled to in benefits when it actually happens.

My hubby is very upset and down cos of it all and we dont know who to ask what we can claim.

I get middle rate dla for my severe depression which I've suffered with for a long time and had to leave my job 3 years ago for it.

We have a 13 yr old child living with us.

my hubby claims carers allowance for me.

Could he claim in his own right for dla for his depression, his bad skin condition which is awful and has that many creams, moisturisers, bath oil and hair mouse and special shampoo to use.

We also have wondered if his leg isnt getting better as you can get arthritis with suffering with psoriasis.

OMG it sounds like he's right wreck and tbh it's getting us both down thinking about it all.

Oh someone suggested we try for a blue badge for him not been able to walk far.

Thanking you in anticipation for your help.
2020 wins - Espire passes for Gatwick airport lounge

Comments

• DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Once SSP runs out he should claim ESA, although I'm not sure how this affects the carers allowance that he claims for looking after you.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • CUTESMILE
    CUTESMILE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks DX2.

We went to see our local CLAC and was informed that he can apply for ESA and also DLA.

His GP is organising blood tests and referring him to see a rhuemetologist to see if he has psoritic arthritis and also found out yesterday that a lot of his family have psoriasis and his dad had his hip replaced a few years ago due to arthritis and this could be indicative that he may have it.
    2020 wins - Espire passes for Gatwick airport lounge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport