Working for Group 4 Security (G4S)

Comments

• wantsajob
    wantsajob Posts: 705 Forumite
    xxJudexx wrote: »
    I applied for a security job at the olympics with G4S. I passed all their interview stages and the security check then they told me they wanted me to do at least a months training in March and I wouldn't get paid until the start of the olympics in July! I couldn't afford to travel to london for a month without pay for so long so I had to turn it down :(
    Guess this explains the current fiasco.
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2012 at 8:18PM
    They are advertising for someone to organise a !!!! up in a brewery as at present they have not got anyone who can do it.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Latest news ia that G4S aren't sure how many of those hired for the olympics can actually speak or read English....
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    They are advertising for someone to organise a !!!! up in a brewery as at present they have not got anyone who can do it.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Latest news ia that G4S aren't sure how many of those hired for the olympics can actually speak or read English....

Probably no different from all the other companies that are building and running the site then.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • xxJudexx
    xxJudexx Posts: 422 Forumite
    As previously stated I was given a job but couldn't work in March and not get paid until July. Even after they sent me my P45 I was getting daily phone messages asking me to pick up my uniform and security pass! It's baffling to think that people not even employed by G4S could just stroll into the stadium, show their pass and get access! I'm glad I don't have any Olympics tickets!
  • monkeys1979
    monkeys1979 Posts: 20 Forumite
    TheSandman wrote: »
    Yes, while at school and university I used it as a part-time job which it was well suited for.

It's actually casual work in that they don't issue minimum hours, or fixed dates. The events they do are 24/7 so they just ask everyone when signing in at an event what shifts are available in the next week and which they'd like to do. This is what makes it an ideal PT job, averaging maybe two shifts a week but being able to take a couple of weeks off for exams with no trouble.

As for what they're like it's impossible to say. While I can say I never met a bad manager or supervisor it changes depending on location. What I will say though is that they're not some shoddy stewarding/security form of which there are many up and down the country. G4S is listed on the FTSE 100 alongside Vodafone, BP, Tesco etc so you can be sure they won't disappear overnight, rip you off or violate employment law.

As for the work it's standard that you'll be offered to work a football match or two every weekend and possibly midweek if a local team has a cup match or European game. Then there's festivals, concerts, rugby, it depends on what's on.

Pay is minimum wage but you get paid 4.5 hours for a football match since you arrive at 12.30 for a 3.00 KO. They get you in 90 minutes before turnstiles are open during which time you chat, drink tea or whatever. The hour before the match is when you have to work, showing people seats, ripping tickets or bag searches usually. Once the game starts you just stand about, how busy you get getting people to sit down or stop standing in the concourses depends on how much of a jobsworth you're going to be.

I would definately recommend it. It's a job I actually enjoyed and didn't want to leave.

Hi sandman! I recently started working for G4S events but, I haven't been given any shifts to do yet but, they do say there is a chance they can overbook an event and some people may not get any shifts. My question for you is, how much notice do they give you before an event mate? They say you will get a text and email before each event you register for and, you just need to click the link and confirm you can work. I'm just not sure how much notice they give you. Appreciated if you can help!:D
  • Here are my experiences on working for G4S in the States:

G4S responded to my online application relatively quick. Had to travel 80 miles for the job interview. Very professional staff. I had applied for a full-time position (Upscale Security Officer), but was offered USO FLEX, which means that you have to be "flexible" and can be sent around to different job sites. (Later on I found out that they try to push a lot of people into "FLEX"). I accepted, because I needed a job. I did the drug test the same day of the interview.

About a week later, when drug test and background check had come back, I was invited to orientation and training. Again, 80 miles one way. I had changed my mind about being "flexible" in location and hours, and so I waived the invitation.

I kept getting phonecalls by G4S asking me what they could do to get me on board. I told them that the "flexible part" was the reason I had changed my mind. And so eventually the job offer was changed from USO FLEX to the position I had initially applied for: USO (Upscale Security Officer).

Orientation was half a day (filling out W4, providing your drivers license, birth certificate, HS diploma etc.). Training was four and a half days. Orientation is unpaid. For the training they only pay minimum wage for the state you live in. I travelled over 800 miles the week of orientation and training, and got paid roughly $200 for being away from home 14 hours a day. =(
    Instructors were nice. Studying and exams involved.

You get your DCJS (Department of Criminal Justice Services) registration (including fingerprinting etc.). You are NOT a licensed security officer after the training, only registered with the DCJS! G4S charges you for the fees to the DCJS: $75, to be subtracted from your paycheck in two payments.

By the end of the training you have to take the First Aid / CPR Class. Then they hand out uniforms and work schedules.

They seem a bit unorganized. Not sure if it's a transitional or a permanent thing.

Hope this helps anyone who's interested in working for G4S.
  • Hi Guys. just wondering if anyone who has begun employment with g4s has had to take a drug test? if so, what do they test you for? their methods for testing i.e. blood/urine? I have in the past used PEDs (performance enhancing). I have stopped however there could be traces in the system. I am lead to believe it would be for alcohol and recreational drugs? thank you very much for any help guys and girls
  • Hi, I switched my energy company 3 weeks ago but my previous company shows me in credit of £300. They can't refund me yet as they haven't received the electricity reading from my new company. My new company have said G4S Dataflow are the only way for energy companies to swap readings at switchovers and that G4S are having an issue, have been having one for weeks, and they don't know when it will be fixed. They say basically the only think I can do is try and contact G4S to get them to give the reading to my previous company. Does anyone know what number or what department I should be looking for to request this? I doubt they will do it but I need to try as really need the cash back! Any other suggestions? thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure