Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Any organisations offering free laptops for disabled?

Options
cattie
cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I'll give it a try. I'm trying to find out if there are any organisations that offer their old laptops to disabled people. I've tried an internet search, but it hasn't really brought any real information.

I'm trying to find out for a friend of mine who's son was tragically & brutally beaten to death in his own home. She has understandably been unable to work since due to her mental state & existing on benefits. DWP are now pushing her to return to work & have stopped her ESA, which she is having to appeal. She has already lost her home to repossesion following the tragic loss of her son & is now living in a small council flat.

She has started to feel that having a computer would give her an interest & help her to focus on something other than the terrible death of her son.

If there were any organisations that give free or low cost laptops to such people I'd be happy to hear. She only needs something basic.

I'd happily pay a small charge to secure something for her. As her flat is so small a laptop would be more suitable to her than a computer, which is a pity as I know desktops are more easily available.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    This is the only one I know - they are in Essex - also not sure if they offer laptops, but try anyway.
    http://www.cftd.co.uk/
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some districts have not for profit organisations that refurbish PC's and laptops and sell them extremely cheaply. Local CAB's would know if this kind of organisation exists in your area and may even know if there is a local charity your friend could apply to. My local refurb organisation sells lappys from £50 up.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Littleblue_2
    Options
    Hi

I may be wrong but I think Leonard Cheshire used to run a scheme like this. Don't know if they still do but may be worth contacting them to see if they can put you in touch with someone that does?

http://www.lcdisability.org/?lid=6478

LB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family