Co-op bank ppi

Options

Comments

• pompeyfaith
    Options
    Marshallka,

Thank You your help in sorting this is greatly appreciated.

PF
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    Hi PF, going to do it all again tomorrow using "12" repayments and see what we come up with. Hold on in there.;) Too tired now but BRB.
  • pompeyfaith
    Options
    Marshallka,

Sure not a problem take as long as you like after all a few more weeks is not going to matter after an 18 month wait.

Much rather get it right before writing back to the FOS.

Kindest Regards

PF
  • marshallka
    edited 21 January 2010 at 12:02PM
    Options
    You actually paid over to them 1324.20 (12 x 110.35) + 4310.38 (using rule 78 calculator) - rebate of insurance 514.53 = £5120.05 (their figure £5203.09);) (getting there)

If you had not had PPI it would look like this

You actually paid over to them 89.15 (being what the repayment would have been WITHOUT PPI) x 12 = 1069.80 + 3482.33 (settlement using rule 78) totalling £4552.13 (4643.45 their figure)

5120.05 - 4552.13 = £567.92 (My figures 12 months)
    5203.09 - 4643.45 = £559.64 (Their figures if they were taken away correctly)
    Difference of £8.28
    5203.09 - 4643.45 = £467.50 (:eek:FROM THEIR CALCULATIONS WHICH I ASSUMED CORRECT BUT INCORRECT)

I think they have just simply got the A) MINUS B) WRONG and also it works better using 12 months and is VERY close except they obviously cannot do a simple sum. Can you confirm their sum of a) minus b) with them???? If they did this correct then your redress would be NEAR enough correct. I have done 12 MONTHS in calculations but surely the bank can see they have done a simple "SUM" wrong. I think the "actual" amount of the redress is correct.
  • marshallka
    edited 21 January 2010 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Hiya Marshallka,

This calculation is what is totally confusing me it is not in-line with the FOS settlement guidelines.

Regards

PF
    Hi PF, I won with Co-op and it stated

"Calculate the amount the customers paid in total in respect of their overall loan including any fees and penalties, as well as interest and reflecting any premium rebates allowed on cancellation of the PPI policy."

"Calculate the amount the customer would have paid in total had the original loan been taken without the additional borrowings to fund the PPI, but assuming it was settled the same date (including any fees and penalties, as well as interest and repayments)."

"Pay the customer the difference between the two plus interest at 8% per annum simple from the date the loan was redeemed to todays date".

Which is what I have done on my post before for the 12 months you had the loan and it works out correct to me (all but the £8.28) and the method they have used on your redress is the same on mine also.

PF, have you tried pointing out their subtraction mistake. Its plain to see and its a "simple" mistake???? I am not on about their actual redress that works about £8.28 difference but its not something they can actually "argue" (A SIMPLE SUM) i am sure as they could see that its a simple mistake???

I really hope this helps you understand and can confirm that I find their redress of this particular loan (other than their actual subtraction) correct. I would however ask them for stress money perhaps for the simple mistake.
  • marshallka
    edited 21 January 2010 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Right as regards how FOS calculates refunds we will put your figures into here to double check

Loan and PPI policy terminated early before FOS decision.
    Overall loan was for £4951.11 (monthly payments £110.35) – but it would have been £4000 with monthly payments of £89.15 without PPI. Policy term was 60 months; loan and policy cancelled are 12 monthly payments.
    Borrower was required to pay £4310.38 - 514.53 = 3795.85 to settle the loan (after the business had taken account of the rebate of premium he was due of £514.53; but if he had not had PPI added to loan, the smaller loan of £4000 would have cost £3482.33 to settle at the same point.
    So borrower had paid lender £21.20 a month more than he would have done, had the financial business not mis-sold the PPI policy; and £313.52 more to settle the loan after 12 months.
    · Return 12 monthly payments of £21.20 to date of settlement (254.40)
    · Calculate difference between settlement costs incurred when borrower ended loan early and those he would have incurred had he settled the loan without the additional PPI element. (£3795.85 - £3482.33 = £313.52) pay difference to borrower.
    · Add interest to each payment of £21.20 at 8% simple, from date that excess was incurred.

If you add up the £254.40 and the difference of £313.52 = £567.92 (WHICH AGAIN IS EXACTLY AS MY ABOVE FIGURES SO AGAIN PROVES IT TO BE CORRECT) which is what the redress should be according the FOS method above BUT co-op do not pay usually on the 8% simple for each repayment FROM DATE repayment was made to todays date. They simply work out your redress and then add 8% from the date the loan was redeemed to todays date.

PF - YOU COULD KNOW THIS FOR CERTAIN IF YOU SETTLED THIS LOAN WITH AN AMOUNT OF £3795.85 OR THEREABOUTS. IS THERE ANY WAY OF CHECKING THIS.
  • pompeyfaith
    Options
    Marshallka,

Thanks for this just one question now then.

So going by the above calculation you ave kindly done and this is what is confusing me

They gave a rebate o the PPI in march 2003 of £514.53 but the policy cost was £951.11 so where has the difference between those two figures of £436.58 gone.

Surely if they have made a financial wrong all of the policy cost should have been returned to the loan because otherwise they would have kept some which ok if i cancelled it but i did not t was a finacial wrong due to a medical condition.

Take my current loan the PPI was £1,511.27 but they have only returned £914.20 to the loan I do have computer screenshots of this.

How can it be right that they keep £597.07 surely that must be returned to the loan too otherwise the loan settlement will be wrong?.

Regards

PF
  • marshallka
    Options
    Marshallka,

Thanks for this just one question now then.

So going by the above calculation you ave kindly done and this is what is confusing me

They gave a rebate o the PPI in march 2003 of £514.53 but the policy cost was £951.11 so where has the difference between those two figures of £436.58 gone.

Surely if they have made a financial wrong all of the policy cost should have been returned to the loan because otherwise they would have kept some which ok if i cancelled it but i did not t was a finacial wrong due to a medical condition.

Take my current loan the PPI was £1,511.27 but they have only returned £914.20 to the loan I do have computer screenshots of this.

How can it be right that they keep £597.07 surely that must be returned to the loan too otherwise the loan settlement will be wrong?.

Regards

PF
    Hi PF, the total cost of your PPI had the loan ran its course would have been 21.20 x 60 totalling £1272.00. This amount would have been added to your other loan (as PPI is actually another loan) and then you repay it monthly. As you settled it early you have a rebate which was 514.53 so although you had paid 12 x 21.20 off the 1272.00 there was still another 1017.60 owing. You also got a statutory rebate using rule 78 on the "interest" element of the PPI. You never actually got charged any more than that of the £597.07 for the PPI over the whole period you had the loan. You were rebated for the PPI and rebated for the interest.

It works like this PF. You have a loan to pay the PPI over to the insurer. You then have paid in full for a service (lets call it that) and you have borrowed the money from your bank for this. This "loan" for the PPI is then treated like any other loan. You owe it and if you settle it early then you get a rebate according to whatever regs were used at the time of the interest due on the loan. (Yours being rule of 78 which is a very costly method of settling ANY loan let alone PPI) BUT Co-op are not as bad as some..... some actually do not rebate anything on the policy like co-op do .

Here are the figures for your loan if you did not have any PPI again

You loaned an amount of £4000 over 60 months. This was repaid at 89.15 a month but you settled it after 12 months and the settlement would have been according to rule of 78 (NOT the new method and this is where the problem lies) £3482.33.

The total charged for your loan was 89.15 x 12 = £1069.80 plus
    The amount of your settlement being £3482.33 so it WOULD have been £4552.13. You actually had £4000 and the rest was charged cause of rule of 78 and interest for borrowing the money over 12 months.

Now again the loan and cost WITH the PPI

You loaned £4951.11 over 60 months. This was repaid at £110.35 a month but you settled after 12 month and the settlement would have been according to rule of 78 £4310.38. However, you did not pay to them £4310.38 as they gave you a rebate of £514.53 so you actually gave to them £3795.85.

The total cost of your loan with PPI was 110.35 x 12 = 1324.20 plus the amount you settled the loan with being £3795.85 totalling £5120.05.

If you take the total cost of the loan with the PPI being £5120.05 away from the total cost of what the the loan WOULD have cost without the PPI being £4552.13 you get a difference that you ACTUALLY PAID OF £567.92.

You never actually paid all the PPI to them. You got it rebated (as you can see) with the rule of 78 for the interest and then they take away a good amount for rebate they give on the actual policy.

Its actually rule of 78 that has stung you here PF and not the PPI. You current loans would be rebated much different to this since rule of 78 was abolished.
  • marshallka
    Options

Regards

PF
    It will be returned to the loan IF you actually got charged the whole amount. If the loan is ongoing and you win a missale then they work it like this. They would look at what repayments you have made towards the PPI to date and pay it you back. They would then look at what amount of PPI is then owing on the loan and settle it so to speak and open another loan (usually) minus the amount of PPI that would be due. This then puts your loan back into the postion as if you never had the PPI. You would also be awarded 8% statutory interest and the amounts you have paid to date. You new loan will then be that of just the amount you originally borrowed less whatever you have paid off it and the repayments would reduce to reflect NO PPI.;)

PF I want to help you so much to understand this. I really do and if you still do not then please ask away cause I know how much this is hurting you. I am just not so good at explaining it but trying my best.
  • marshallka
    edited 21 January 2010 at 5:01PM
    Options
    PF, this is the only reason that the loan is wrong for the one you posted up that I can see other than the extra few quid and its this simple subtraction here....

Total paid inc PPI to 25/03/2003 £5203.09
    Total would have paid without PPI £4643.45
    Difference A) - B) £ 467.50

Where they say difference of a) and b) its not correct. It should have been £559.64.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure