Screed over bitumen paint/adhesive

Options
dave82_2
dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
Hi,

I need to level a concreat floor that has a thin layer of bitumen paint or adheasive on the top.

I really don't want to have to remove this. We want to lay a real wood floor.

I was hoping to re screed just a thin layer to level then paint with a damp proof sealent. Then lay a damp proof underlay then the wood as a floating floor.

What is the best screed to use on top of Bitumen?

Cheers D

P.S. there is no real evidence of any damp issue however the wood floor is expensive so I want to protect it as much as posible!!!

Comments

• dave82_2
    Options
  • missindecisive
    Options
    hello..we are gonna use latex self levelling screed, followed by a damp proof membrane which we bought from B&Q (its like visquine in a pack). Then we've gone for wood fibreboard underlay which is 6mm thick, on top of that we will lay our laminate flooring. our floor is concrete so not quite the same as yours but you could google it to see if it will work :beer:
  • dave82_2
    Options
    Thanks,

Problem is I need to level the floor as there are a few damaged areas. and a channel all around the room left where the skirting was! It looks like they fitted the skirting then layed the screed!!

So really need recommendations for a good quality leveling screed that will go over the paint. I definately need a dpm underlay as the bitumin layer is very thin and erroded in areas.

Thanks for the advice and links to underlay.

Would the latex based screed bond to the bitumen ok?

Cheers
  • dave82_2
    Options
    1928 so don't think there is any DPM
  • dave82_2
    Options
    Will do. Any advice on a leveling compound that will stick to the bitumen?
  • dave82_2
    Options
    Hi,

I did try google but most of the recommendations were a bit vauge. I will drop the company an e-mail see what they say about using over bitumen. Thanks for you help.

D
  • dave82_2
    Options
    Here is where I am now :-

Weber responded :-

"Yes the weber PR301 is ideal for bitumen & non porous substrates."

Ardex responded

"We have a product ARDITEX NA which can be applied over hard and not water softenable adhesive residues. Please see data sheet attached.

Depending on what your intended floor finish is you are still relying on the soundness of the residues left so it it is probably in your interest to remove as much as possible."
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used Wickes latex self levelling compound over Wickes liquid damp proofing - bitumen based - with no problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure