PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money laundering checks

Options
2»

Comments

• wastedtalent
    wastedtalent Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    norbet wrote: »
    This Money Laundering requirement has me extremely worried too as I really can't see how we can demonstrate where our deposit is coming from without providing bank statements for the last six years or so.
    All but 5k of our 24k deposit is from savings over time from various accounts, some of which have since been closed. We also have a £5k "gift" from my father, will we need to prove up how he's accumulated the £5k? We've asked our solictor how we need to prove how our deposit has been sourced, but I fear it may be very difficult.
    It all seems incredibly invasive.

Mine was all built up over time from saving, just showed them a statement covering last 12 months, and they were fine with that.
  • norbet
    norbet Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice, I'll type up a letter for my Dad to sign and they can have statements for last 12 months - hopefully that will suffice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure