Can I damp proof and insulate a shed?

Options
Can I damp proof and insulate a shed too use as a craft room :rolleyes:without all the fabric and card going damp and mouldy?:eek:
Can this be done cheaply?
Has anyone successfully converted a shed for another use and had/ not had problems?
I need a craft room and do not have the foggiest idea of how or if :confused: to go about it any ideas all you DIYers?
Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:

Comments

• OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    its not easy and not that cheap..

go to a proper trade suppliers and get the 50mm thick sheets of polystrine (8x4 sheets)..with the foil back.you need to fix this all around the shed floor walls roof etc etdc etc. Then tounge abnd groove over that or even dry linning pannels..

outside get a good quality shed paint and follow instructions liberaly..

your biggest problem is the windows as most are just a sheet of perspex..secondary glazing is needed...

I reckon for an 8x12 shed you are looking at £200+
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • robv_3
    robv_3 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you could. Normally the only way to stop a room/building from getting damp in the air is using heat so if you are going to do to the expense if insulating it how are you going to heat it?
  • she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Hadn't thought about heating as this is just an idea in the "could I" stage hmmmmm. and £200 upwards ouch I guess it's an idea for the backburner.
    thanks folks
  • Pyewacket338
    Options
    I used to work in a factory building Park Homes, they're just glorified garden sheds, they have an outer skin of 9mm plywood, we insulated the walls with 50mm polystyrene sheets and rockwool in the loft space, then lined the inside with 5mm ply.
    If it's a small shed, a "thermo-tube" heater should keep it warm enough to prevent it getting damp, if you're in there for any length of time, you'll need plenty of ventilation too, just breathing can cause a lot of moisture, think about when you're sat in the car on a cold day and the windows steam up.
  • she_grinch
    Options
    Can the floor be insulated the same way with the foiled polystyrene (like for laminate covered with plywood or chipboard?
  • Pyewacket338
    Options
    You wouldn't really need to insulate the floor, but you could use laminate, plywood, vinyl or even carpet to keep any chill off.

The park homes had 4inch joists with a vapour barrier and rock-wool in between, over this was screwed 18mm flooring chipboard.
  • she_grinch
    Options
    Many thanks, I am determined to research this thoroughly before I even think about buying a shed as I would hate to end up with a shed that I never use! Or with supplies I cannot use!!
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    Someone told me that it is not the cold that is a problem but the damp so I bought a dehumidifier for £50 on offer from A***s and it has been fantastic. It's thermostate switches off often. It needs emptying twice a week but everything - tools and paper - has stayed rust and damp free. I also have a small convector heater set to come on from 5am - 6am and then from 6pm - 7pm on number 1 setting.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • Pyewacket338
    Options
    If you buy a typical wooden shed with cladding, you can fit 25mm polystyrene between the inner lats and cover it with 6mm plywood, do the same with the roof, the window will just need a secondary piece of glazing, perspex would do fine as long as it's well sealed around the edges, seal the wall corners with caulk.
    When you're inside, keeping it warm will suspend most of the water vapour in the air, having the walls and glazing insulated should prevent it forming condensation, if you didn't want to use a de-humidifier, you could leave a window or door open when you leave or even fit an extractor fan to remove the air. As the air and shed cool, the vapour in the air will form condensation, causing damp and mould, that's why it needs to be well aired, treat it the same as a bathroom after having a shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure