Knock down wall between seperate bathroom & toilet?

Options
Evening all,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me!

We bought a 3 bed house last year with a very small bathroom, right next to a very small seperate toilet.

Both rooms need work, but we are unsure of whether or not it would be worthwhile knocking down the dividing wall. I am of the opinion that it maybe cheaper and easier to keep the rooms seperate, however my partner thinks that it would add value to the house if we had one larger combined room rather than two pokey rooms.

We are not planning to stay in this home forever, so I am not keen to spend unnecessary cash on large projects like knocking down walls unless it will add value to our home...

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• sutwam
    sutwam Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

We knocked down our dividing wall between the bathroom and toilet and stole a little of the landing to create a large room, and for us it is well worth it.

Perhaps you could speak to local Estate Agents and get their opinions as they know the housing market in your area and what would help your house sell.

Good Luck!
  • martin1018
    martin1018 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Hello KiwiB, and welcome to MSE,

I would guess that your new house is fairly old. We have a 1930s house which had the same layout and we did exactly as you are planning.
    Expect to do more than just knock the wall down and patch up - although if thats all you have to do thats a bonus.
    When I did it I had to replace the ceiling as the join would never have looked anything and would have annoyed me. All you need to do is put new plasterboard over the old ceiling and skim over. Likewise the join where the wall came down, but in my case all the plaster came off in the entire room as it had 'blown' and come away from the bricks in many places. Whilst this gave a good finish it was a messy job which caused many trips to the local tip with plaster and brick rubble. However the resulting job was spot on and it does give you a great opportunity to rearrange the room and fit it out to its best potential.

Have fun!
  • chuckles1066
    chuckles1066 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    KiwiB wrote: »
    Evening all,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me!

We bought a 3 bed house last year with a very small bathroom, right next to a very small seperate toilet.

Both rooms need work, but we are unsure of whether or not it would be worthwhile knocking down the dividing wall. I am of the opinion that it maybe cheaper and easier to keep the rooms seperate, however my partner thinks that it would add value to the house if we had one larger combined room rather than two pokey rooms.

We are not planning to stay in this home forever, so I am not keen to spend unnecessary cash on large projects like knocking down walls unless it will add value to our home...

What are your thoughts?

Well, first of all you want to be checking whether the wall you're proposing to knock down is load-bearing or not, otherwise your whole world could come crashing down around you.......literally :eek:
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say it depends if you have another toilet. If you do then go ahead, but a three bedroomed house with the only toilet in the bathroom is going to be awkward for a family if someone is having a bath and someone else needs the loo.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    Most people over the age of 40 probably grew up in houses with only one toilet. We survived.

Well yes I agree with you, in fact we had an outside loo, and it didn't flush! But I still prefer a separate loo if it's the only one in the house.
  • KiwiB
    KiwiB Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies! I think we will probably go ahead... after we have priced everything up and checked that it's not a load bearing wall (I don't think it is). BTW, we are also putting in a downstairs loo... so hopefully will tick all the boxes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure