How Do I Get Rid Of Artex On My Ceiling

Options
2»

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    mariauk wrote:
    How long ago would they have stopped making "old Artex"? I have the whole kitchen covered in it and I know the previous tenant had lived here for 5 years. I am in the "very long" process of using a steamer to get it off as I hate it. Could I be at risk? Thanks

It is is that old and does contain asbestos it will be Chrysotile (white) which is less hazardous than the blue or brown varieties.

In essence as long as the asbestos material is bound up in a matrix i.e. mixed with something else and not free floating in air you should be ok.
    In this case of course it would be mixed with fillers and resin.

Common advice given to anyone removing this stuff is to keep it wet so that it does not go airborn and hence respirable.

Disposing of it of course is another issue, but there are free registered dumps in most counties.

I only know this stuff as a company i used to work for used a lot of it to make gaskets and brake linings etc.
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alanobrien wrote:
    It is is that old and does contain asbestos it will be Chrysotile (white) which is less hazardous than the blue or brown varieties.

In essence as long as the asbestos material is bound up in a matrix i.e. mixed with something else and not free floating in air you should be ok.
    In this case of course it would be mixed with fillers and resin.

Common advice given to anyone removing this stuff is to keep it wet so that it does not go airborn and hence respirable.

Disposing of it of course is another issue, but there are free registered dumps in most counties.

I only know this stuff as a company i used to work for used a lot of it to make gaskets and brake linings etc.

Thanks Alan, It is white and sort of leaves a sparkly resadue which I have wiped off with a wet cloth. I will make sure I have my mask on and try and get it done ASAP :)
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have this problem - caused by ourselves, so can't blame previous owners.

To 'hide' the ld cracked lath/plaster we put Artex on REALLY thick, years ago.It actually looked Ok, back then!

Last week we had new platerboard layed OVER it, not as much mess as trying to remove just the Artex, let alone the old ceiling!! They removed the loose plaster from some of the walls & completely skimmed over - it looks like a new room, even before it's dried out.

Quote was £450 but they needed more plaster, after I'd chunked off a lot, whilst removing the old skirting, so felt it only fair to give them another £20 for the extra material.

In & out in a day & a half!

So 1 bedroom costs....

Plasterers £470
    Paint/sealer £ 70 (B&Q in Hitchin had a pallet of discontinued colours arrive, when we were getting the new skirting, £3, 2.5ltr colours!!
    Skirting/architrave £30
    Carpet £150
    Curtains/light £50
    My time £0000000000000000

So £800 ish...just to get rid of Artex in a 12'x12' room!!!!!!!

If you're nearby Herts/Beds, I'll give you the plasterers number.

VB
  • scottishkat
    Options
    i am in the middle of removing artex from my bedroom ceiling and this is the way i am doing it - mix some wallpaper paste so it is really gloopy and paint this on the artex making sure you have a reasonably thick layer. cover the wallpaper paste with a bin bag (the cheaper the better) to stop it drying out and leave it overnight (i have left mine about 4 days and it hasnt dried out) then take the bin bag off and use a scraper to remove the artex. my artex isnt very thick so i dont know how well this will work for other people but it is very cheap to try. i tried the steaming method but found that i wasnt coordinated enough to stand on the top rung of a ladder with a steamer in one hand and a scraper in the other!!!
    i wish i was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum!!!
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    Funny enough I heard this mentioned on one of those makeover program my wife loves to watch. I think they said the best way was to just get the ceilings skimmed rather than remove the stuff.

My whole house is covered in it minus the kitchen extension. We never put it up and I wouldn't like to remove it, we lived in this house 14 years now.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mariauk wrote:
    Lol, Love your Avatar Rob. Not very often you see a man cleaning the toilet :D

Not often you see a woman trying to unblock it !!

Hate to disappoint ladies..... (my avatar) I'm actually trying to retrieve another one of those stupid toilet smellies that hang on the side.

You know.......the ones I have told err indoors ! time and time again not to buy !!

And as for the toilet seat....I've tried in vain to get err indoors to leave it up for me !!
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Jeannine
    Jeannine Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had my (awful) Artex ceiling skimmed by expert plasterer and it looks fantastic. Definitely recommended. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure