Clumsy children

Options
2»

Comments

• valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I could always tell when my kids were going into a growth spurt. it was like they lost the mental image of where their edges were and they were always misjudging where their feet would land or where the door edge was. It's spring, most kids do go into a growth spurt round about now. If he's still doing it in November though, it's more likely he's just a bit clumsier than most.
    Val.
  • shortdog
    shortdog Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    Does he normally bruise himself like this on a daily basis? Presumably some of this was done whilst he was at school today?

No, this is an exceptional day - he never makes it through a day without some form of mishap, but today was extra mishap-laden! He's home-educated, and we spent some time today at the local holiday park, waiting for my OH to finish work, so some things happened there. The trip downstairs was at the dentists though, just to be different.
    cord123 wrote: »
    Just a side note, have you had his hearing and eyes tested? My son has problems with both which is why he is constantly covered in bruises, just wondered if this could be the same for your LO? XX

He's under the eye-clinic and hearing clinic, as he has issues with both (which does explain some of the clumsiness), he needs grommets again but has a bad reaction to general anaesthetic, so they've postponed it for now.
    hes growing
    when kids grow the nerve ending slightly seperate - apparently - (fascinating programme on tv about it a while back - professor winston presenting - showed an young ballerina going through the same stage....)
    anyway this means that impulses to muscles are missed - slow etc and clumsimess ensues
    then these catch up as sceletal growth slows and flesh has a chance to catch up - and a brief period of not falling over ensues - until the next growth spurt
    it also cheers the kid up to know their growing and not naturally clumsy

That's brilliant, thanks, so he's growing, and not clumsy? I'll need to find the programme - we are doing the Human Body as a topic just now, so would tie in nicely!

We're seeing the school nurse as she's a nosy mare really, but the official reason is that she had a report from the paediatrician, and needs to check things out. The report is nothing special, it's basically the post-appointment minutes, which I recieved my copy of before Christmas, so she's obviously put it to the side until she had a quiet week - if there was anything in it that she felt concerned about, I'm sure she'd have been in touch before now. I can refuse (as there is no legal need for us to see her) but last time, she called social services as she was "concerned about his wellbeing" (funny how none of the other health professionals that we see on a weekly basis were worried) and it's easier to have a 10 minute sniping session with the school nurse every 6 months or so than it is to deal with social services.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still like that even all these years later. Doorways seem to move as I go through them and either catch the elbows, shoulders or boobs in the door frame. And no I'm not drunk :rotfl: Wish I was half the time.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • shortdog
    shortdog Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Nothing to do with you personally OP, but I'm just imagining the completely different direction the thread would have taken if you'd said dog instead of cat!
    Very true - hadn't thought about that! To be fair, if he'd sat on a dog, and then tried to give it a very big upside down kiss and cuddle to say sorry, when it was obviously not happy and trying to run away, he'd have deserved everything he'd have got:rotfl:
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LOL poor little man. I'm clumsy (I'm known as clumsy mummy in our house :D) and so is DS, but your sons day takes the biscuit. :cool:

Hope tomorrow is better, and sounds like you're ready for the school nurse. :p

Happy moneysaving all.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    shortdog wrote: »
    No, this is an exceptional day - he never makes it through a day without some form of mishap, but today was extra mishap-laden! He's home-educated, and we spent some time today at the local holiday park, waiting for my OH to finish work, so some things happened there. The trip downstairs was at the dentists though, just to be different.

He's under the eye-clinic and hearing clinic, as he has issues with both (which does explain some of the clumsiness), he needs grommets again but has a bad reaction to general anaesthetic, so they've postponed it for now.

That's brilliant, thanks, so he's growing, and not clumsy? I'll need to find the programme - we are doing the Human Body as a topic just now, so would tie in nicely!

We're seeing the school nurse as she's a nosy mare really, but the official reason is that she had a report from the paediatrician, and needs to check things out. The report is nothing special, it's basically the post-appointment minutes, which I recieved my copy of before Christmas, so she's obviously put it to the side until she had a quiet week - if there was anything in it that she felt concerned about, I'm sure she'd have been in touch before now. I can refuse (as there is no legal need for us to see her) but last time, she called social services as she was "concerned about his wellbeing" (funny how none of the other health professionals that we see on a weekly basis were worried) and it's easier to have a 10 minute sniping session with the school nurse every 6 months or so than it is to deal with social services.

Tbf, it's better they are over cautious than not attentive enough. I had this a few years ago at a hospital, my husband came with me to all appointments because I hate doctors :o and I get a bit teary and find it hard to remember information.

It obviously rang alarm bells and they asked to examine me in a side room where they asked several times if I was the victim of domestic abuse or pressure or anything else similar. I was even more upset by that at first but when I told dh afterwards he thought it was a good thing, as some women are and if their husbands are with them how can they say, so he was entirely pleased they had asked me.

Fwiw, like your son, I had lots of bruises and accidents and injuries too. Kids though, IMO....almost should have some battle scars from playing outdoors or energetically, or just being clumsy, but its good that someone is looking out for him.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shortdog wrote: »

Glad to hear it's not the norm LOL

Glue ear? I've had several friends report good results from seeing an osteopath, might be worth investigating?

You know what though, I have a darn sight more respect for SS than I do for our school nurse who appears to be a complete ignoramus.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2013 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Sorry - your post made me laugh!

glad you are having this investigated! oh and remind your son that Cats ALWAYS win arguments!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure