Car insurance for provisional/new 17 year old driver's

Options
Hello,
Can anyone make any suggestions about getting the best deal for my soon to be 17 year old son car insurance. I haven't bought a car for him yet but we're looking at insurance category 3 small cars. I've been told that it would be fraudulent to get a car and put it under my insurance as a second family car with a view to him using it - especially as there is only one adult in the family, me!
Thank you
Liz

Comments

• sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • blueye
    blueye Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    for learner driver insurance go to youngmarmalade .co .uk, there you can get your son his own policy on your car (this wont affect your no claims as he would have his own policy), or his own if you will be buying him one, i was quoted £72.50 for 28days cover on a smart roadster brabus worth 10,000, you also get a £20 discount if you extend the policy for a further 28 days so the next 28 work out at just £52.50.
  • CrispyUK
    CrispyUK Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The link you want is http://www.provisionalmarmalade.co.uk - it's not clear whether this can be used on a learners own car, it's very much orientated at learners practising in a parents car.

From my personal experience, it's going to be expensive on the insurance, perhaps not so bad on the provisional licence as they should always be supervised by someone with 3 years under their belt, but once they pass and can drive alone, the risk increases, and so does the cost.

I passed my test last April, male aged 19, very high risk group. Bought a Peugeot 307 which is insurance class 4, my cheapest quote was a little under £1850 with Direct Line, ouch! But a lot better than the £4-5k quotes some insurers were offering.

I've just renewed today and with a years no claims and a bit of haggling it's £851, still expensive but a hell of a reduction. I hear people moaning about their premiums being £300 and wish mine was!
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, just seen your post on car insurance for a 17-year-old driver.

well... he'll be 19 now...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport