Cadburys Shop at Outlet Village - out of date stock

Options
124»

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This thread has passed its best before date.
  • sad_dog_lady
    Options
    robby 01 you are a genius. thanks for making me laugh.
    1. i'm bi polar.:rotfl:2. carer for two autistic sons.:A 3. have a wonderful but challenging teenage daughter.:mad: 4. have a husband that is insatiable. :eek: 5. trying to do an open degree.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    barker.14 wrote: »
    It is not OVERPRICED as you put it! Look harder and you will see that when a product in these stores has passed its BBE date the store reduces the retail price even further than what it was before.

As for Tesco Value chocolate, you obviously don't share the passion for chocolate like many Brits. Cadbury Chocolate is a British National Institution and we should ALL be supporting our home grown businesses, especially as now the UK economy is in such a mess.

By the way, REAL chocolate doesn't come from France! REAL chocolate comes from the Cocoa Beans of Ghana, South America, India etc!

You may call Cadbury a British institution but to think of it as proper Chocolate is pushing it a bit.

There is not enough Cocoa in it for it to be called Chocolate in any other country than ours.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    lets not start the eurphiles off.
    cadburys chocolate is better than anything else in the world. apart from belgian.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This is what (the lovely) Hersheys say:

Q. How long should I keep chocolate?
    A. Most confectionery products are at their best flavor for one year after manufacture. Ingredients such as nuts will shorten the shelf life. Products kept beyond recommended "best before" date may have flavor loss or texture changes. Keep in mind, however, that storage conditions greatly affect the quality of our products.

Q. My chocolate sometimes turns tan or white. What causes this?
    A. Chocolate contains cocoa butter, a vegetable fat that is sensitive to heat and humidity. Temperatures above 75?F will cause chocolate to melt. The cocoa butter can rise to the surface and form a discolouration called "cocoa butter bloom." Condensation on milk or semi-sweet chocolate may cause the sugar to dissolve and rise to the surface as "sugar bloom." Chocolate that has "bloomed" is certainly safe to use, but flavour loss and texture changes may be noticed.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    On a trip to Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet yesterday, I popped into the Cadburys Factory Shop and noticed that the majority of stock on sale was past its Best Before date.

Most things on sale had a Best Before date of February 2006, but I was particularly concerned that the Dairy Milk with Mint Chips bars had a Best Before date of December 2005!

Now, I know it's not illegal to sell food that's past its Best Before date, and to be fair there were disclaimers on the shelf warning customers of this, but does anyone agree with me that selling a chocolate bar over four months past its Best Before date is really pushing it too far?

To add insult to injury they weren't incredibly cheap at 20p each (5 for £1). I'd expect a more generous discount if they expect me to eat a stale-tasting chocolate bar.

I've seen foods on sale in places like Home Bargains which are maybe a few weeks past their Best Before date, or sometimes up to two months at the very most, but I've never seen anything on this scale before.

It now seems obvious that Cadburys have only set up these Factory Shops so they can wring some money out of stock which is so old that no other retailer will touch it with a bargepole. I suppose they used to throw this stock in a landfill site before someone had the brainwave of flogging it direct to the public under the pretence that it's a bargain!

I think this sort of practice goes against the spirit of these so-called "Factory Shops", as it's been a very long time since any of that chocolate saw the inside of a factory.

I read the original post (above) and thought I'd mis-read it - chocolate dated BBE DECEMBER 2005 - 4 MONTHS out of date. :confused:

Then I noticed that the post was dated MAY 2006.

So, hurdygurdy, I agree with you - it's not just your imagination:
    Is it just my imagination, or is there a spate of necroposting going on in these forums at the moment? This thread is three and a half years old!!

And, hollydays:
    This thread has passed its best before date

It certainly has.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills