How much for a plumber to change my bath taps?

Options
2»

Comments

• whyhellothere
    whyhellothere Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I wud say try it yourself it is jobs like these that we can do but never try thats how alot of people make there money

Not as hard as it seems
    No Man Or Woman Is Worth My Tears And The One Who Is Will Never See Me Cry

:rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A man with morals
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    We are selling too. The bath is fibre glass, so hopefully it isnt rusted. I hope I dont have to change the bath as I have just tiled and fitted sealant and trim under the tiles!
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    We're having to replace our whole bath because of this, we literally have the worst case scenario, running tap which is beyond all help, cast iron bath, tap rusted to the underneath and no room whatsoever to get in at any angle. We had one plumber arrive, he took the panel off, came to find me and made an excuse to leave suddenly and we never saw him again :(

Our house is going on the market soon so we are going to have to get this done ASAP :(

Can you not just replace the tap head a body? By body I mean the complete tap mechanism and washer...the bit that you would screw out if rewashering it?

Go to a plumbers merchant and ask for some adaptataps or a tap conversion kit for a bath or take the old head and body and see if they can match it up . Adaptataps fit about 90% of taps so chances are you will be ok .
    If you get stuck tell me what the taps look like.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the plumber who did actually come and do some work did that the last time, they are really old taps (approx 1960's) that must have been put in there when the extension was built, plus it looks as if they built the bathroom to fit the bath instead of the other way round.

They've also been reseated, the plumber stuck 3 washers in to try and give us some relief from the running tap and nothing lasts longer than a couple of months.

I haven't heard about that Adaptatap thing, would it work?
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    In my case, I cant get 'the bit that you remove to change the washers' out - the nut has nicely rounded corners!
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've cut the taps off once before. :doh:

This was a few years ago. Customer was adam-ant she was keeping her cast iron bath. :think:
    To start the process off, I protected the bath first. I used a large 9" grinder with a fine disk in it. Cut off to about 10mm from the bath. Had to keep wetting the taps to keep them cool. Then used a file attachment in my drill to grind down the stumps until I could get into the collar.

Once I had got to the collar, everything came out easy. :dance:

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure