2nd Hand Bikes near Cardiff?

Options
tripled
tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm looking to buy a second hand hybrid bike - can anyone recommend any decent stores near cardiff? There's noting on freecycle, not much on Gumtree in my price range (and I'm always suspicious of Gumtree anyway) and not much on ebay.

My budget is less than £100, but it needs to be half-decent as I'm hoping to ride it to work and take it around Wales come the summer, so it may see a couple of thousand miles in the next few months!

Comments

• enion
    enion Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only other place I heard people recommend is the Splott market (but I've never been there so don't really know if you can find any decent bikes there).

I've tried Gumtree and Ebay before but I think you just need to be patient and lucky (I'm not very much of the former...).

The only tip I can offer with regards to Ebay is look everywhere in the UK, not only around Cardiff. Even when the sellers say "collection only" it's worth writing to them and asking if you can arrange for your own courier. Most of them are more than happy to send the bike this way (although they'll probably need to be prepared to collect a free bike box from a bike shop and dismantle the bike a bit for postage). You will need to reassemble the bike at your end (nothing serious).

Oh yes, most couriers will either refuse to carry a bike because if its dimensions/weight or quote an exorbitant £150 for the service but you can use a company recommended by Money Saving Expert called parcelmonkey.co.uk who will arrange for a £10-£20 courier (as long as it's a Mon-Fri pickup, not a weekend one).
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's a little bike shop in Cowbridge. They sell new and second hand bikes. Don't know the address, but it's near Oxfam.
  • getset73
    getset73 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Try iwantituk.com. Like enion says i think its a bit of luck and patience required but you could get lucky. There's also a decent bike shop in Station Road, Port Talbot which also deals in second hand bikes I think. Good Luck
  • Roundhead
    Options
    Hi tripled.....If you are still looking ive just used a website called ezzebuy.com. Give them a go....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure