Options
2»

Comments

• mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    soolin wrote:
    I prefer to have a certificate of posting as although I am not losing much outward mail at the moment I think DVds can be a bit tempting.

Soo

soo having read of your on going saga with your local PO , is there any chance you might be able to have a wee word on the quiet? Tell her she is the only one charging like this, that all the others you have been to, charge the lower rate if it goes throught the slot easily, that as you are losing a tenner a week with her you might have to reconsider which one you use? Ask her to double check or ask what would she do if she were you???
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mah_jong I have tried. She just insists that she is right and that the other POs are wrong and that eventually my mail will turn up at my buyers with a £1 penalty notice.

I've posted in the past about how I like my ebay/Amazon straight forward. Sell something, get paid instantly and wrap item. Then take it to her on the way to work next day...having to try and negotiate each package gets me down. We stand there and discuss whether I want to risk it 'this time' as she thinks the item didn't slip through easily, and I know it will be a large letter every well else.

I can't complain to Royal Mail as she'll know it is me as we have these continous discussions about sizing. I also know she relies on us ebayers to keep her open, yet she admits that she has seen a small but noticeable decrease in items over the past couple of weeks. We end up like gun slingers at the OK corral, she'll quote me a price and I'll ask whether that means she is taking it as a package so she'll sigh loudly get her gauge and show me that it won't fall through, I take item back and show her that it does go through and then I'll either get 'well, I'll send it this time but it will get a penalty notice other end' or a flat refusal.

Frankly I am getting tense just thinking about it now.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mookybargirl
    Options
    I'm sending a few parcels with the same contents at the moment. One post office said that as it 'snagged the edges' of their guide, it would be a large parcel. Basically £1.36 or something instead of 65p.

I use a different post office now and they always charge me 65p.

My advice would be to try a different post office if you have a few around ;)
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Options
    As long as I can push it through the slot mines happy. Is she the actual post mistress, because perhaps you could have a word with whoever manages the po they might not realise what's going on.
  • NickMidgley
    Options
    I sell a few DVD's on ebay and usually send them out in a standard "jiffy" envelope (the bubble-wrap type ones).

I've sent from two local post offices and both have charged 65p first class.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure