We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cheapest place to buy Grow bags?

Options
2»

Comments

• pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Val
    Top tip.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    I cut mine in half and stand the sections on end to give two "pots". Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
    /quote]
    How many tomato plants would go in each one of those?

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    I cut mine in half and stand the sections on end to give two "pots". Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
    /quote]

Weezl x

Can't speak for Val, but I would only put one given limited amount of surface area for watering, and spacing would be too close as well IMO

Unless someone knows better?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    /quote]

Weezl x

Hi.
    Depends on how many you could fit into the same size growbag and how wide the growbags are - in a growbag that is the size to put 6 tomato plants in, I would put 3 in each half bag. But then again, I cut most of the leaves off and space mine closer together than alot of people so I would probably chuck 4 or 5 in there and make the diameter as wide as i could.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Can't speak for Val, but I would only put one given limited amount of surface area for watering, and spacing would be too close as well IMO

Unless someone knows better?

Yup, I'd put one plant per half bag as well. If you give each plant a decent amount of growing medium then it doesn't have to compete with neighbours for food and water, and it will grow better and crop more heavily. You still would have to feed them later in the season though.

Basically it's just a quick way of making a disposable pot. There's nothing magical about the compost in grow bags, though it's a fact that the cheaper they are, the poorer the quality of the growing medium. With the very cheap 99p-ish ones, it's best to not cram in the plants too much. But I wouldn't use the more expensive double-height ones this way anyway.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport