Nissan x-trail remote key replacement

Options
:mad: We have a Nissan x-trail purchased in 2002,it comes with remote control central locking(as you would expect!).Over the last couple of months the key hasn't been working that well so i took it into the garage & they replaced the battery,however that didn't solve the problem,so today i finally got round to phoning up to see how much a new key would be - £245,YES £245 how on earth can they justify that price?& then the chap said plus whatever the cost of actually coding it to my car would be!!What a rip-off.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could get round this?
Thanks Jude

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    we have just got a new key off e bay for our car we bought a key fob for about 10.00 and the key bit that needs to be cut for 2.00 and a decoding programme for 99p hope that helps
  • Saferider_2
    Options
    Hi have you looked in the hand book that came with the car for recoding instructions most cars with electronic keys will have a peice about how to do it yourself.

HTH
  • JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These fobs are expensive.

I've got a Skoda Octavia and one of the fobs stopped working last month. Thankfully, it was still in warranty so they replaced it but the dealer said these ordinarily sell for £150 + coding costs of £30!.

You used to be able to recode the key yourself as well by inserting into ignition and either syncronising it with the other fob or performing a few actions like open door, turn key, close door. But again, dealer said they stopped this as it made it easier for thieves to sync their stolen key to your car so now the dealer has to do it themselves. I smell money making here!.

Money making somewhere I'm sure. But as per other poster, these keys do pop up on ebay quite often so you only need the recode of it to be done at the dealers - cheaper than £245
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure