Singapore stopover

Options
Just wondering how much money my 15year old son would need for a 5hour stopover in Singapore. He is going on the free sightseeing trip arranged through airport so only needing money for something to eat and drink. He is travelling to Brisbane on a sports trip.
Thanks

Comments

• Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 December 2012 at 10:19AM
    Options
    Just wondering how much money my 15year old son would need for a 5hour stopover in Singapore. He is going on the free sightseeing trip arranged through airport so only needing money for something to eat and drink. He is travelling to Brisbane on a sports trip.
    Thanks
    Assuming that he has no plans to fine dine at Raffles Hotel or go on a pub crawl ..... The grab and go kind of food and watering he is likely to be looking for will be pretty much on a par with the UK.

The caveat is however ..... That is assuming he gets to stop at such fast food/hawker centre style places. I would do a little research online to get others feedback on the tour as the tour may be partially funded by certain hotels and he finds he is stopping for lunch at the not particularly cheap Marina Bay Sands hotel.

Edit: See link below and comments including "One problem is no food or drink is available on the free tour and you can't get off and buy any". (not sure if that applies to 5 Hr tour).

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k2220977-Free_Singapore_Tour_from_Changi_Airport-Singapore.html

Tour details:

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/free-singapore-tour

:)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • mustmakealist
    Options
    I think that it will depend on what time if day he will be there. I would suggest that he will probably only need a drink and snack unless the timing of his visit means he'll miss lunch or dinner and won't get something on either of his flights. If you're worried about how much money he will need then suggest that he include a snack in his handluggage and purchase a drink before he gets on his flight to Singapore. There's bound to be a shop airside selling water. Having said this I have no idea if he is a hollow legged eating machine!
    I'm assuming that he isn't going totally unaccompanied so you could ask the group organisers for their suggestions
    I need to make a new list for 2014
    think of something to put on it!:rotfl:
    Try harder for 2014 as I never managed it in 2012 or 2013
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £30 should cover it easily (although he is a 15 year old boy :) ). Then he'll be back on his flight with more food so all he'd probably need is some fast food and some drinks.
  • Tabby_cat
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is covered in the info. about the tours but, if your son leaves the airport to go on a tour, I believe he will have to pay departure tax to re-enter the airport. From a quick google, it seems he will need $34 Singapore dollars which is about £17 which doesn't really make the tour "free". If his stop-over is only 5 hours he might find it easier to stay at the airport and not pay the departure tax. There's loads of free internet terminals, 30 mins. then re-log in. There is a pool on the roof ($13) Also there's a free Entertainment deck with X-box, playstation, MTV booth and movie theatre.

From memory, food wise it's didn't seem as costly as UK airports but can't remember exactly how much we paid.

So, to answer your original question £30 would be a good guess.
    Hope this helps.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,000 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is an airside hotel where he can get a shower and sit in their lounge, worth considering. Oh just realised he is a teenage boy so will have more fun trying all the electronic stuff in the shops!!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure