Lending money to friends & family

Options

Comments

• Cheers for all your replies.

I take your point that I have no legal comeback on the scum bag. I've already drafted a letter to his current 'landlord' and also one to his parents for ultimate embaressment (although not sure about the last one as their a nice couple who don't deserve a son like him).

I have no intention of letting it lie even if only to !!!!!! him off and I can guarantee he's lost the respect of the majority of his friends due to it although time being a great healer I can see some of them not caring too much in a while.

As you said, best rid.

Laters. :wave:
  • madfrenchgirl
    Options
    i would not imply his parents in the matter, nor anybody ese otherwise, you might look like a psycho. I would just drop by and leave a message that makes clear that he owes you money. If you start bad-mouthing him to everyone instead of confronting him, you will get a lot of people against you, not necessarilly because they agree with what he's done, but because they do not want to take any side and save themselves the trouble of getting involved (and I am talking from experience).
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    I would notify his new landlord. Make sure you change all your paaswords and pin numbers if he knew them or you think he may have found them out, email password etc.
    Otherwise you may leave yourself open to a revenge attack by him if the new 'landlord' boots him out.
    His parents may not be interested or even know he's done it before, after all if he's in trouble why isn't he cadging off of them?
    Personally although is it gut churning, I would just make sure I protected my finances and address against him, check your experian file/credit rating in case he has applied for anything at your address, content myself with a letter to the new landlord and put the experience down to misfortune. What goes around comes around.
    Wish you well!!
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    I sorry, but you agreed to help a friend out, you alreadly said that he was pretty screwed for cash, he wasn't able to pay you want he said, and now you're calling him a scumbag and seem hellbent on revenge of some sort. You don't seem such a great friend yourself.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Personnally, if a 'friend' did this to me I'd be livid. You put your trust in them, and help them out when they need it....only for them to disappear, leave a note essentially saying "go and get stuffed" and end up down financially.

Most people wouldn't put up a friend for 12 months, but this person did. They sound like a great friend / person to me, who has been badly used by a certain individual.

I wouldn't let it lie either. Go for it.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Sound advice from Halloweenqueen, you'd be wise to follow it.
    You've been taken for a ride and you probably feel embarrassed, let down and angry but don't let that suck you into slandering and libelling your friend or you might be thought less of. I'm not suggesting you do nothing. If you are talking to his mates/acquaintances about this problem why not ask them what they would do in your shoes? You will then ensure as many people know about his bad behaviour as possible. This might be a tactic to use if you want to contact the parents because whether they are aware of the behaviour or not, or care about it or not, parents usually defend their offspring come hell or high water.
    Why is he behaving as he is now? He's probably overwhelmed by the situation and doesn't want to think about it never mind talk to you about it, and this may always be the case. Try putting yourself in his shoes and you might get and idea of what he's feeling like - don't mean you to sympathise, just be pragmatic because if you have some idea of what's going on in his head you'll better be able to predict what outcome all this will have: will you get some cash from him; will he try and destroy your reputation.
    I think the bottom line is that you've learned one of life's more bitter lessons and you'll have to chalk it up to experience because teaching moral lessons to someone else is a tricky thing to pull off.
  • Robert_Sterling
    Options
    In my opinion you took your friend in which was very generous of you.
    Your friend took you in which was not very generous of your friend.
    Move on.
  • almacmil
    almacmil Posts: 4,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someones signature says "If a friend borrows a tenner and you never see him again, it was probably worth it." Just don't let it colour your view of the rest of your mates.

Oh and revenge is definitely best cold..... Give it time - you'll get your chance.
    Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure there's no legal comeback? It might be worth contacting a solicitor to see if this verbal contract has any weight. Do you still have the note that says don't bother persuing him, does it imply that he does owe you money but doesn't intend to pay it back?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I recall lending money, around £200, to a "friend", thankfully wasn't living with me though. I never saw it again, even although I have a note saying that they would pay it back which was signed by them. I put it down to experience and whenever someone asks me for money now I tell them no, even though it goes against my nature to see some who is down on their luck and to have to knock them back for a sub etc. I wouldn't lower yourself by kicking up about the money owed. What goes round comes round etc, I later discovered that this person I lent the money to took someone in like you did and they totally screwed them over financially and the person I had lent the money to ended up in deep !!!!!! with the local council. If you are looking to get even, then I would bide my time and discreetly keep tabs on him, if that is possible.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure