Harringtons advisory not following the rules

Options
hunniebee66
hunniebee66 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 18 January 2015 at 12:33PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
I was contact in June 2014 by a cold call from harringtons advisory telling me I was on there data base , I told them I was aware I Had PPI policy and in fact had used them when I was made redundant . they told me they could search back to 1989. ( this cant not be done unless you can supply all the paper work I have later found out)

I have the telephone preference service on my phone which is meant to stop cold calls and Claims Management Regulations rules are they are not meant to chase or cold call people on this service.

Please be aware of this company, all they do is send a generic letter to your bank and the bank doses all the work, this will cost you hundreds of pounds when you can do it free your self , which they are meant to explain to you which they don't do.

also please note credit card companies only keep record for 6 years and banks 7-10 years if you claiming longer then this you will need the original paper work.

Comments

• jo10541
    Options
    Harrington Advisary Do Not Use This Company here's what they did to me:-
    Apart from Pester you for there money..near 50% with VAT added...to the 30% I'd thought.
    Ignore my complaints...
    I wasn't aware that there wasn't a list.
    I recieved cold call telling me I had loan/credit cards from 98 I was owed PPI on.
    After years of these calls I was sick of it
    And said ok didn't think I had anything as I had checked all my paper work as had at least 10 years worth. Claimed on 2credit cards sent other letters there was nothing else there. But to get rid of them thought it would give them something to do and a bonus Otherwise.
    Mmmm how wrong can one be...
    When it came down to it they ended up
    Claiming back on an old mortgage and my current one. What a mess. So for £3,500 back and £3,380 there fees we have lost the cover of our still 18 year mortgage.
    This is because there is no list you sign to let them look into your details in which they just do letters for every single one that shows PPI
    They don't care if there still running. I didn't sign the paper for my current mortgage it was another number that was attached to it that I didn't recognise...
    Cost me I was better off as I was £3 grand ain't life changing the loss could be worse. Our home.....Don't make this mistake leave things alone. The government should have made the banks pay everyone back would have saved these companies being quads in not giving a stuff of what they leave behind..
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    If you are unhappy with the service provided, you can complain to the CMC and, if necessary, take the matter to the Legal Ombudsman.
  • Insider101
    Insider101 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    jo10541 wrote: »
    Harrington Advisary Do Not Use This Company here's what they did to me:-
    Apart from Pester you for there money..near 50% with VAT added...to the 30% I'd thought.
    Ignore my complaints...
    I wasn't aware that there wasn't a list.
    I recieved cold call telling me I had loan/credit cards from 98 I was owed PPI on.
    After years of these calls I was sick of it
    And said ok didn't think I had anything as I had checked all my paper work as had at least 10 years worth. Claimed on 2credit cards sent other letters there was nothing else there. But to get rid of them thought it would give them something to do and a bonus Otherwise.
    Mmmm how wrong can one be...
    When it came down to it they ended up
    Claiming back on an old mortgage and my current one. What a mess. So for £3,500 back and £3,380 there fees we have lost the cover of our still 18 year mortgage.
    This is because there is no list you sign to let them look into your details in which they just do letters for every single one that shows PPI
    They don't care if there still running. I didn't sign the paper for my current mortgage it was another number that was attached to it that I didn't recognise...
    Cost me I was better off as I was £3 grand ain't life changing the loss could be worse. Our home.....Don't make this mistake leave things alone. The government should have made the banks pay everyone back would have saved these companies being quads in not giving a stuff of what they leave behind..

That's what happens when you complain that you were missold a product. You are in effect saying that you wouldn't have bought it had you been correctly informed. If you wanted your mortgage PPI (which is how I read your post) then it would have been an idea to agree what they were actually going to complain about. I do appreciate that these companies are very underhand and very deceitful, hence if you feel they have misled you I would take up Magpie's suggestion and complain about them.

As regards the comment that the government (I assume you mean FCA) "should make the banks pay everyone back, this is never going to happen and nor should it. There are plenty of customers who were sold PPI perfectly fairly, some who made claims on it, some who would have lost their homes if not for it. To do as you suggest would basically be throwing the baby out with the bathwater and result in a lot of people getting money that they don't deserve.
  • michwalk
    Options
    Make sure you complain. That is shocking. I have written on a different thread on here about Harringtons advisory. They should not be able to get away with it. They did not make any fees clear to me. I see you put it was 30% +20% vat. See I thought they said 30% to me on the phone, a year ago. but later got a shock when invoice was for 39%+20% vat. I was not told about the vat at all. I have not paid them the fee, as it is in just my name and is not my refund. I am waiting for them to respond. Do you actually remember signing a contract. I don't only information forms. I think everyone should make a complaint about this company ,that have had problems with them. And then it might get looked into ,how Harringtons Advisory runs things and how it treats its customers. Not very good at all.:mad:
  • societys_child
    Options
    jo10541 wrote: »
    The government should have made the banks pay everyone back would have saved these companies being quads in not giving a stuff of what they leave behind..
    :huh: No thanks, I don't want all my insurance policies cancelling
  • J.Smith_3
    Options
    Rubbish employers dismiss you after a week after one day training might not even pay for that week to ridiculous.
  • CONNIE_BRYANT
    Options
    Iused this company who told me fees were 33 and a third percent, but only investigated credit card PPI when I had several loans a mortgage and a secured loan according to them at the time they go back 30 years I have that in writing, the fee is £1535.00 for a payout on 2 credit cards dating back to 2003 for £3,200 like other people no mention of 20% VAT that is 50% these people are supposed to be helping where banks had missold now they are ripping us off with there fees. I have refused to pay the fee till all the claims are examined which they got me to tell the about, why get you to fill that information in if they aren't going to check for it, I am not paying until all work has been undertaken, I am fed up filling these forms in for companies who expect me to do the work for them, one company got me to contact a call centre in India and they sat in on the call of course the operator knew someone was there and hung up but agreed there was PPI on 2 loans, the company never contacted me again. So here I am 5 years down the line from an original claim against the same bank, but this time the company Harringtons who have exceptionally high fees aren't doing there job right they have contacted people I have never mentioned or banked with, and failed so far to respond to 3 detailed emails to them, they say they have sms me they haven't , they say they have responded by email they haven't and I spent 2 hours on the phone even the payments line trying to get them and was cut off completely. I have received a threatening letter today 1 week after the first contact in months that the company had paid out on the credit cards, and said after I pay for that they will investigate any further claims I have, but I do not trust them now and never agreed to 50% fees either.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I ran out of breath about 400 words into the first sentence.
  • CONNIE_BRYANT
    Options
    whats the address of CMC and Finance Ombudsman, and if we can contact our individual banks directly how do we do that. ?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am fed up filling these forms in for companies who expect me to do the work for them,

And that's exactly what they do....
    You could have asked here, we would have told you what to do, you could have looked for how to complain on the main website....

You thought it would be easier to use a CC, now you know it's not.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure