Cheap ways to learn a new language

Options

Comments

• little_acorn_2
    Options
    If you live in Wales you can get a number of the introductory, online Learn Direct language courses for free if you register through a college of further education. I registered via Coleg Gwent.

Last year I did Italian and this year I'm doing German. The courses are very basic but teach you a few useful phrases and help with pronunciation.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm absolutely useless at learning languages - every time I open my mouth to try something nonsense just comes out and the other person replies in English.

However, I have had some success with the Radio Lingua Coffee break series (http://radiolingua.com/). They have short 10-15 lessons in various languages which you can download as podcasts from iTune. The audio lessons are free but you can also pay for extras such as transcripts. I've got quite a way into the French and Spanish ones and the tutors are fantastic even if they do like their cheesy songs a little too much.

Otherwise there are lots of language courses on YouTube. The quality and style vary massively but try a few a few and see if any suit your taste.
  • skilts
    Options
    I use a site called "My Language Exchange", very cheap and lists over 100 languages to learn, you cannot beat being taught by a native speaker.
  • wedwardes
    Options
    As previously mentioned Duolingo if wanting to learn a language but also Google Translate offline is extremely useful for on-the-fly translations both from English and into English.

Google Translate is fine for reading foreign text. But it should never be used to write unless you have a very good command of both languages. You should be able to correct the translation and choose between the options. It is great for writing in English quickly and translating but then the translation needs refining.

Duolingo is great and free but the English is US English.

Some airlines such as KLM have free language courses in their AV systems.
  • wedwardes
    Options
    The best way to learn anything is to make a commitment. I made a commitment to give a speech in Portuguese in June. Oh I have a nil command of Portuguese.

Shouldn't be too difficult? ;-)
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take in a foreign lodger!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    Take in a foreign lodger!

Even better get a foreign boyfriend/girlfriend :)
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Options
    Try the BBC website for a range of language courses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/languages
  • LollypopLoz
    Options
    The SaySomethingIn... website has audio lessons which are great. My boyfriend decided to learn welsh about 2 years ago, mainly using that website, and is now fluent. Welsh is the language they started with and so has the most lessons, but there are some other languages available. The first course (about 25 lessons) is free.
    I can't post the link (I'm new) but just search Google for Saysomethingin.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Even better get a foreign boyfriend/girlfriend :)
    You might learn more than just a language...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure