PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I have lost my OS ways, help!

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Blimey, Living proof, that's a really brave decision! All my best wishes to you. I remember when I left my awful council job without a safety net, then became self employed (as a doula, which was a million miles from database manager!) I was flooded with an amazing sense of relief. Go for it!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Caterina! This is only the second time I've heard of a doula - my daughter had one for her recent offspring. The quality of life isn't just about financial security and I have had enough years in my life when money was very tight. Now I have no dependents it's so much easier to make a drastic decision like this. I feel so much better for it already.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Livingproof - good luck with your new adventure. It might be a bit scary to start with but I'm sure you will be much happier and have a better quality of life.
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Hi CATERINA, and everyone else. I have been reading this thread for inspiration. CATERINA you mentioned the second and third Purse system to DRAGON. I have been doing this since May last year and have managed to save over £500. It is complicated to explain but once you get your head around it,it's a great system. It's part of the sticky on the shopping and grocery board.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4205077

That's the first time I've tried to do a link so not sure if it's worked.

Have a look,and if you've got any questions I'll try to answer them.

Esther x
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • Dragon_on_roller_skates
    Options
    EstherH - thank you for the link to that thread. I've had a look over it, but think I'll need to read through it a few more times before it clicks. I'm not sure if it will work ... Aus doesn't do so much of the BOGOF or 3 for 2 offers. But I shall read again and see ... :o

Living proof - good luck with your new chapter!

Caterina - I used the services of a doula when DS was born. :) I'm glad I did, as he was soooooo enormous that I was glad of someone, literally, holding my hand while I was patched up; Mr Dragon was busy on baby-minding duty.

Plans for the rest of the day are to take some stuff to the Slavo's, after cleaning out the children's wardrobes t'other day. Maybe see if I can spy a bargain or two to replace some of the outgrown stuff. And to re-hem one of DD's school dresses. I managed to pick up a preloved winter dress, a summer dress and a library bag from the uniform pool yesterday - grand price $26! Woo hoo! (If I'd bought new, it would all have cost $112, so I'm a happy little Vegemite.) The dress was too short, but has a big enough hem, so I'm going to hit the sewing machine next. She's such an awkward shape, Miss Dragon. Age 8 is like a tent on her and looks ridiculous, age 6 fits in the chest but is way too short. So I end up taking everything down, as it's easier rather than trying to take it all in!

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I think the easiest way of changing your lifestyle to OS is to do it in bite sized pieces, start with just one thing, say buying only essentials baked beans, get used to that so it becomes second nature and then find another OS idea, say filling the oven when you cook and saving fuel. Get used to each idea over a little time period until they become second nature and you just do them without thinking and add in things one at a time along the way. In very little time (in the great plan of things) you've adapted your ways to OS methods. It's not as hard as it sounds you just have to crack the first thing completely before adding in the next one!!! Lyn xxx.

I think this is where I have been going wrong as I have been trying to change everything all at once :o

It is a good idea to take smaller steps :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 July 2014 at 6:57AM
    Options
    Good morning,

Welcome to the thread jlhmd666, small steps are the way to go!

Welcome also EstherH and thanks for the link to the second purse. I had another look and again decided that I am not organised enough to have a system, but can see the benefit of it for more methodical people.

Dragon did you use a doula in Australia? There are a couple of London doulas who emigrated there and founded an Australian Doula company, some 10 years ago, one is Lisa and the other is Lesia. Wonder if you had one of their colleagues!

Living proof I am glad your DD had a doula, it is really helpful to have someone caring but independent during birth, as they can offer support but without the emotional involvement that family members have. I always preferred postnatal to birth mind you, because there is always someone to assist you at birth, even if only just the midwife. But so many women feel abandoned and utterly alone after the birth, all the focus is on the baby and often the mother feels invisible. It gave me great joy to help women bond with their baby and find their mothering skills.

My OS day today includes a visit to a lovely community cafe and hub of environmental activities where they need a volunteer administrator. Having decided that I do not wish to go back to work, I still want to get the benefits of being among people, doing something useful and not let my brain go to rust. And the advantage of this place is that volunteers get a nice lunch in the cafe! The only problem is the fairly convoluted journey. I shall have to try a few routes and find the easiest.

Then this afternoon I have the chiropodist (fully deductible from my cash health insurance), I need it because I have a couple of toenails that need thinning every now and then due to a past problem, but it is like having a proper pedicure minus the toenail paint that I do myself afterwards. Saves me a fortune in beauty treatments. And she does home visit!

Tonight dinner out, at IKEA cafe, as we are going to buy a sink for the utility area of the kitchen, already got the main kitchen sink but we need one for laundry etc. I have a £30 voucher and we can get 7% discount card via DH's work, so it should be a fair bargain.

Have a good day all.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,634 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Caterina and everyone else. Just been reading the thread and would like to join you! I try to be OS but it doesn't always work, does it?

I menu plan and generally stick to it; I'm also using the Grocery Challenge to try to stick to a budget - I'm not quite there but it is saving me some money as I don't spend as much as I used to but still seems to be too much - unfortunately I'm to far from the shops to be able to get the the SMs when there are reductions (nearly 20 mile round trip to Mr Ts - which is the closest!).

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning everyone, I just wanted to flag up that this is definately the right time of year to start making OS pickles, chutneys and jams as the fruit and veg are at thier best and cheapest. Even if you don't have the wherewithall to grow your own the prices in my greengrocer are at thier lowest as most things are available in quantity. Today I'm making Bread and Butter Pickles to put in store for the winter, so easy and so cheap and only need cucumbers and onions and then I'm making some redcurrant jelly from our own homegrown fruit. The pickle is a cross between gherkins and pickled onions and brightens up mousetrap cheese over the colder months and the redcurrant jelly goes into casserole and stew gravies to make them richer tasting. I've always made preserves from scratch and they're so easy to do, so well worth the outlay for sugar and vinegar in the long run and make the cold weather food much more interesting for a much better price than buying in everything from the shops.

Bread and Butter Pickles

3 larrge cucumbers cut into thinish rings
    4 onions peeled, halved and sliced
    3 level tablespoons of salt
    1 pint of white vinegar
    6 oz of sugar
    1 teaspoon of celery seed
    1 teaspoon of mustard seed

Put the cut veg and the salt mixed together in a large bowl and leave it for an hour, it will put out liquid. Drain and wash and drain again in a colander. While this is happening heat the vinegar,sugar,and seeds in a saucepan and when it boils simmer for 3 minutes.

Have ready some clean dry lidded jars (the ones with the plastic coating on the inside of the lid to prevent corrosion) heated in a very low oven. Put the drained veg into the jars, pour on the hot vinegar with the seeds too to cover the veg and put the lids on when it's all still hot. Leave to cool, label and store for a couple of weeks before using. They will keep for a year or so and will get better in flavour as they stand in the storeroom.

Hope you feel like having a go and I've got lots of recipes if anyone wants them, Lyn xxx.
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2014 at 10:36AM
    Options
    the redcurrant jelly goes into casserole and stew gravies to make them richer tasting.

I have some redcurrant jelly in the cupboard (shop bought) which was left over from last Christmas. I didn't know what to do with it but have a stew planned for this week so will try it in there. Never thought it could be used this way.

I would also like to have a go at your pickles. What sort of jars would be ok? Would it be better to buy them or use some that I have put in the recycling? I'very not done anything lIke this before but it sounds really easy to do and OH loves pickles :)

Edited to add: would you have a piccalilli recipe that you have tried? I love that stuff :o
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family