PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great Hunt: What are your house-selling tips?

Options
Have you recently sold your house? Have you got any tips or hints to share? Did you use an online estate agent, and how did it go? We're looking to tap MoneySavers' expertise in house-selling, from baking bread to improve your home's smell to putting excess clutter in storage.

Click reply below to share your tips. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide..

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• COOT
    COOT Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Sold my house last October, internet "Private house for Sale" sign bought and a post from Wickes total less than £30.00. put up start of April 2013. Used my self employ work mobile number on the sign. Shopped around for and Energy cert (must have to sell a house) provider £40.00ish.
    Factors that helped: 1) Other properties for sale in the street. 2) Sensible price above what I would take as my lowest offer. Extras included (said this on sign) carpets, sustains, blinds, washing machine, some furniture all included in the price. within a couple of months the sale was agreed and as the price was sensible i stipulated that the buyer was responsible for gas and elect test etc. The only thing to slow the sale down was his mortgage broker dragging his feet and I had a holiday planned at the time we could have completed. Just used the same sign and formula to sell my girlfriend house this year. Same sign went up end on March this year and the sale is almost sorted and she expects to move out at the end of July. The magic sign will be used again to try and sell my girlfriends mums house next year. I have seen other private signs and think the colours black and amber stand out best, my sign is a bit too much brick red in colour and does bot stand out as well but it worked. Just be honest when meeting buyers that the price reflects what your selling and both parties can benefit from not having estate agents fee to factor in and being in direct contact you can deal with any issues directly with the buyer. I bought a bungalow November 2011 and the estate agent almost messed up the sale by offering the seller £10K less than I had offered. Kind regards :)
  • Unitoons
    Unitoons Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Sold our house in March - on the market for 24hrs and sold for full asking price.
    My top tips are:
    De-clutter and tidy - a house full of "things" looks small and also makes it hard for the viewer to imagine their items in the space.
    Clean, clean, clean - make sure the house is spotless - all the time! Difficult to do but vital for a sale! Air fresheners help too.
    Remove pets and children - no-one needs a distraction (pleasant or otherwise depending on your view) - you need the viewer to focus on your house.
    Fix minor cosmetic issues - I had some coving which was falling off and a few minor cracks. I made sure these were all filled and fixed so people wouldn't spot them and think they hid a bigger issue.
    Tidy the front garden - it is true what they say about first impressions!
    Add some finishing touches - I put out fresh flowers and fruit in some of the rooms. I also dressed my dining table for dinner.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I recently moved house. My top tips, based both on what worked for me, and things which were positive/negative in relation to houses I viewed:
    • Declutter. It makes rooms look bigger & cleaner, plus it is easier to visualise what you could do with the room
    • Clean. And, particualrly if you are a smoker, or have dogs, get someone who isn't/doesn't to come round and tell you, hinestly, if you have eradicated the smell.
    • First Impressions count. Washing the front windows / door, making sure that the area the door opens into is welcoming and well lit make a big diference.
    • Don't try to hide things. If you have a room which is a bit tired, or in need to refurbishment, include it in the photos. It's not as if people are not going to notice when they view the property.
    • Be realistic.
    • Be careful picking your estate agent. Check out their lisitings on Rightmove etc. look at thequality of photos and write ups, look at the offices anad local advertising.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • PicassoMatisse
    PicassoMatisse Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 18 June 2014 at 10:08AM
    Options
    Paint the whole house white; de-clutter and clean inside and out (include garden/balcony); wash windows; remove net curtains to let light in the house. Put a large tub of one type of flowering plant outside house-I bought a cheap tray of pink geraniums from B&Q. A red front door helps too. Read Feng Shui for Dummies-it works.
  • kathypinnage
    Options
    Agree with all of the above, but the best money saving tip I can add is to use an online estate agent and do the viewings yourself. As a buyer, I would always want to view houses at evenings and weekends, which (as a seller) is the same time at which I have the free time to do myself. When I sold my london flat 3 years ago, the online estate agent fee was about £500 in total, including about 20 high quality photos (therefore eradicating pointless viewings because they already knew what they were going to see), 360 degree views, and measured and created floorplans. That was all done in one visit. Then there were placements on all the big websites (inc rightmove) and they organised the viewings with a single point of contact. They also had a chat function on the online account so you can talk with the agent without having to call in to them. We had 3 offers from 11 viewings (inc 3 2nd viewings). Saved somewhere around 1500-2500 depending on which agent you compare to - and sold for over the asking price.
    Highly recommended!
  • LoobyLoo2102
    Options
    I sold my house just over a year ago. This was the 7th move I've made but the first using an online agent. I did my research and chose Urban Sales & Lettings. I got professional photos and room plan included along with a For Sale sign. I was also able to add further pictures of my own, which actually clinched the sale. I de cluttered but ensured viewers could still see it was a family home. I touched up paintwork and decorated my daughter's bedroom as it really needed doing. I also ensured windows were kept clean, and fresh flowers available. I had no interest the first week, and then viewings steadily came in. I wrote the description of the property and rooms, and I found it so much better that any viewing leads were passed straight to me, to enable me to arrange a suitable date and time directly with the potential buyer. Much better than going backwards and forwards via an estate agent. I sold to the third set of viewers, and we negotiated a price there and then. I felt in control. Did all my own viewings, which I prefer anyway. The buyers have subsequently become very good friends.
    I'd definitely recommend selling online. Most people turn to the internet when property searching, and Urban Sales ensured my listing was on all the major websites. And I got all this for £300. Saved thousands which helped me afford something I wouldn't otherwise have been able to.
  • AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unitoons wrote: »
    Air fresheners help too.

No they don't. I hate them and it would be likely to drive me out of the house and create a negative memory of it.

All the other stuff is spot on though. Clean, declutter, attend to minor maintenance and do whatever you can to get a bit of kerb appeal. A few flowering plants go a long way.
  • Unitoons
    Unitoons Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    He he - I know what you mean but we picked subtle expensive reed diffusers to give a fresh scent to each room - some of the viewers commented on how nice they were!
    We also have two dogs so I was determined not to have a "dog smell" as the lingering memory!!
  • geoffa
    Options
    Recently had an excellent experience with online Estate Agent - eMmoov / My property For Sale. Total cost of sale was £200 for 1 month on Rightmove. Included was house valuation; photographs & floor plan, all arranged by them. For £400, the advertisement could have been on Rightmove for 12 months. House was sold to first viewers. Be warned - your local Estate Agents regularly check Rightmove and will hound you - phone calls, letters & even a knock on the door - as they were about to lose Agents Fees of approx. £10k in my case!! Pay £400 or £10k to sell your house - no brainer! If you do still want to use an Estate Agent afterwards, the fact that you are already on Rightmove is good for you, when negotiating a lower Agent's fee, as all the other Agents know that your property is for sale. They will fight each other to give you the best deal! Can't be bad.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the above, make sure your house is clean.

Choose your estate agent wisely, as a poor one can scupper the deal. I found the best thing to do was to agree a very short contract (6 weeks). The first EA was hopeless, so I was able to move to the second one quickly. The second EA did an Open House Day on the Saturday, and phoned me with offers Monday morning. This is a very fast-moving area.

Also, don't choose the EA who gives the highest valuation, especially if they are significantly higher than the others. Large chains around here have a method where they pay the people who do the valuations according to how many sign-ups they get. So they are rewarded for over-valuing, and ultimately your house price will have to drop anyway.

My advice would be get three valuations and go with the middle one (assuming the EA does good professional photographs and a floor plan).

I'm not sure flowers, the smell of coffee etc make any difference. I didn't do any of this, just made sure the house was very clean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure