We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'Do you have any coffee shop MoneySaving tips/tricks?' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Charlotte_Deals_Hunter
Former_MSE_Charlotte_Deals_Hunter Posts: 107 Forumite
Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
edited 15 April 2014 at 6:37PM in Shop but don't drop
Have you got any crafty tips and tricks that could save MoneySavers some cash in coffee shops such as Starbucks and Costa, etc?

MSE Charlotte is on the hunt to find any MoneySavers who work or have worked at any of the giant coffee shops to dish the dirt. For example, is it true there is a coffee cup size called 'short' that's not advertised at one chain, which gives you the same amount of coffee but is cheaper?

Please let us know:
Which coffee shop do you work for/did you work for?
Have you got a savvy tip?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Hi, my name’s Charlotte Burns… …and I’m a deals hunting, coupon-loving glitch addict. Before joining MoneySavingExpert, I used to hunt for deals in my spare time – now I get to do it and get paid. Talk about landing my dream job! Read my Deals Hunter blogs to see what I'm on about. If you have any tips for me to look into tell me on the Forum or on Twitter #DealsHunter.

Comments

• double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    buy one large drink and ask for it to be split between 2 small cups
    sign up to the newsletter and get a free coffee within 30 days of your birthday
    dont buy bottled water all their water is filtered so ask for a large tap water with ice
    ask for frozen coffees in a larger cup with extra ice - same price goes much further
    split drinks buy 1 large americano 1 cup of hot water and 1 spare cup - makes 2 large drinks for the price of one
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • stroptart
    stroptart Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Not relating to a big coffee chain but Mcdonalds has a 2 for 1 offer on its smartphone app.
    The app is free to download. Then you need to bump 2 phones together with the app open and both get a 2 for 1 voucher for any item in the mc cafe range. If you use it for coffee, save the stickers on the side and 3 paid-for drinks plus the 3 free gets you enough stickers for the 7th one free.
    Promo runs till 29th April and you can only have one voucher on your phone at a time. But you can use it then get another one straight away.
    Anything I post on here is my own personal opinion, and quite likely not the view of my employer. My knowledge may not be up-to -the minute current, but I'll give you the best I can.
  • icklejulez
    icklejulez Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    Costa do kiddy sized hot chocolate for 50p
    Saving needed to emigrate to Oz
    *September 2015*

£11,860.00 needed = £1,106 in savings

• liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    If you like iced coffee, an iced americano is usually less expensive than an iced latte, just as tasty, and lower in calories as it doesn't contain as much milk. A filter coffee/americano with a pump of syrup is less expensive (and again, lower calorie) than a flavoured latte.

As an ex-Starbucks barista, I never minded if people ordered short drinks or tap water but I did get a bit annoyed by people who split drinks or acted like they'd discovered a 'secret' menu, because usually they didn't have the manners to ask nicely. So my main tip would be be nice to the baristas, ask politely with a smile, and we're much more likely to give you freebies! :-)
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • lean&mean
    lean&mean Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2014 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Yes, Starbucks do a 'short' size cup. I read about it in a book about economics. Ever since then I've often ordered a short cappucino, which is ideal, as the 'tall' size is way too big. They keep the cups under the counter and don't advertise the short size on the price board. The short is about 25p cheaper than a tall.

Cafe Nero cup sizes are small anyway so no point downsizing, but I wonder about Costa which are ridiculously large. Have they got a smaller cup size (oo-er missus)?

I liked the suggestion about ordering a huge size then splitting between two cups. Not sure if I've got the chutzpah to ask for it, but maybe one day...
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2014 at 6:45PM
    Options
    I look out on group purchase sites for Starbucks offers - usually buying a £10 value voucher for £5 cost
    I only go to Starbucks for a treat and it feels even better knowing that it is half price!

I signed up for a John Lewis shop card and got 6 vouchers for one free hot drink and cake once a month.

I signed up for a Waitrose card and get a free coffee every time I go to town. (one a day is the rule)

Everywhere I always top up my coffee from the milk jug - there is always room for more volume under the froth

If you buy a pot of tea then always ask for a jug of hot water and use it to top up the pot after you pour.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My tip is to walk on by.... I've never bought a coffee from these places; I don't even have a coffee after a meal.

Get used to instant granules and make one when you get home.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't use them, make your own. Nespresso around 30p a shot.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My tip would also be....don't go in there in the first place ! Most of the chain coffee shops,and a lot of independents,just charge ridiculously high prices for food and drinks. I'm sure the staff don't get matching high wages .

I do have a My Waitrose card, which gets me a free tea if I happen to go in there (about once a month usually). Otherwise I go to a local independent coffee shop,with a friend ,once a month,we have a pot of tea and extra hot water £1.70 for the 2 of us. The rest of the time I wait until I am at home, or at work and have my tea there. I carry a water bottle ,filled with tap water,in case I need a drink while I am out.

I work with a woman who comes to work early specifically so that she can stop off on the way in to get a coffee from Costa, which she makes a great show of carrying down the road and then drinking at work. We have tea and coffee supplies in the office, we are both on minimum wage and she frequently throws half of it away as it has gone cold........Grrrr!!!!
  • ConfusedOfCatford
    Options
    Drink tea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business