We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Most common ways of winning prizes

Options
2»

Comments

• JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Snizza - that's a bit cynical ;) Though I probably only think that because I sometimes mention my depression, where relevant... Although, now you say it, maybe a pair of Beats would be the cure all I need :rotfl:

I agree with Snizza to some extent, though, on the constant RTs getting you prizes; I'm not convinced it's because the company see you're desperate, I think it's more likely because you end up with more entries into the comp.

My prize statistics since the beginning of this year:
    Facebook - 11 (no Likes and Shares there, because I don't do them - all were either FB apps, or commenting on a post)
    Twitter - 2 (one was an effort one; the other, a RT comp where I RT'd once)
    Pinterest - 1
    Rafflecopters - 1
    Magazine puzzle (entered online) - 1
    Mobile SMS - 1
    Blog Comment on a Post - 1
    Other Websites - 5
    Newsletter - 1
  • Snizza
    Snizza Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lol I'm just being observational Jessica! It's like one competition the other day which I didn't enter but the question was something along the lines of what was your favourite stories your mother read you at bed time, some woman starts replying with well stories were very special to me since I was suffering with having Chemotherapy as a child etc etc..... Just find that kinda stuff really unnecessary.

I don't think the people are gaining themselves more entries into the comp by constantly retweeting, I think the companies just love the amount of desperation shown to go along with how much advertising they are getting from it by people spamming Twitter doing it. A lot of companies clearly show favourtism when picking out their winners and don't follow their own rules regarding a random draw. Not all, just some.

You have done well this year. I've had 2 small prizes. Only ever won 3 things in total on Twitter, one of them was never delivered to me as I think the American girl didn't bother sending it. And another prize I won I had taken back off me because I didn't reply within 1 hour to the company even though the rules didn't state it.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • mclarkie
    mclarkie Posts: 11,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Instead of writing sob stories, I think you have to give them what they want, which is often surprisingly ordinary every day stories.
    Like the women recently who won a Suzuki car with her short story about her 40 year old hubby who'd only just passed his driving test.
    That beat a whole load of well written and ridiculous long boring sob stories.

Why? Because people like the ordinary, they can related to it, and that's why dumb programs like Big Brother are so popular on TV.
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmm, I just had a look at my wins so far this year:

January - 3 facebook, 1 twitter, 1 text comp
    February - 2 facebook, 2 twitter, 1 web comp
    March - 3 facebook, 4 twitter, 3 web, 2 rafflecopters
    April - 1 rafflecopter so far

So I definitely seem to do better from facebook/twitter/blogs than I do web entries
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my wins so far this year

twitter 2
    facebook 0
    other websites 4
    magazines 0
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • lolascott
    lolascott Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    i've won
    3x from websites
    1x click to win
    1x facebook (i had to send an email from my email add so maybe less entries than just for 'a like'?!
    0 from twitter
    0 from rafflecopter
    £135/£2015

2014 - 21 wins :) 2015 - 3 wins :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts