We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

windscreen chip

Options
buzi
buzi Posts: 139 Forumite
hi, i have a small windscreen chip in bottom middle and not affecting view but im wondering if this chip will get worse and should i get it fixed and if i should get it fixed what is the best moneysaving way of fixing it, thanks :)

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Check your insurance, there may be a free repair included.

The closer a chip is to the edge of the screen, the more likely it is to spread and remember on cold mornings with the heater on, the rapid change in temp will affect the bottom of the windscreen first.
  • buzi
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    Check your insurance, there may be a free repair included.

The closer a chip is to the edge of the screen, the more likely it is to spread and remember on cold mornings with the heater on, the rapid change in temp will affect the bottom of the windscreen first.
    thanks, ive checked my insurance and can get a free repair but am wondering if my insurance renewal will go up much for claiming this, would i save by doing a cash repair or maybe even if poss a diy :o
  • catoutthebag
    Options
    buzi wrote: »
    hi, i have a small windscreen chip in bottom middle and not affecting view but im wondering if this chip will get worse and should i get it fixed and if i should get it fixed what is the best moneysaving way of fixing it, thanks :)

There is no DIY Moneysaving way of doing it. You pay insurance, use it. It will not affect your premiums. Your insurance will include windscreen cover. Call them up and some rotound chap will come out to your house or work, with a small toolbox in paw, containing superglue for glass, which he will inject into the crack (with some manual dexterity). This glue will spread and heal the crack.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    See what a local independent will charge for doing a repair.

If you go through your insurance then it is a claim which you will have to disclose to other insurers for the next 3/5 years depending on how long a history of claims they want from you.

Do some dummy quotes online to see what difference a glass claim makes to your premium before accepting this advice:
    It will not affect your premiums
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    buzi wrote: »
    thanks, ive checked my insurance and can get a free repair but am wondering if my insurance renewal will go up much for claiming this, would i save by doing a cash repair or maybe even if poss a diy :o
    A cash repair costs about £80/90 from a glass repair company and about half that from the likes of Kwik-fit.

Most insurance companies 'claim' that a repair will not affect your premium but as others have said it is worth checking.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    My windscreen has had a chip in it for over three years. It's never got any bigger and it does'nt bother me. If I replace the windscreen I can guarantee it will get another chip so I'm not going to bother
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The last windscreen chip I had repaired cost me about £30/40 but it was a few years ago.
    I sometimes see mobile repairers parked on out of town shopping centres offering free chip repairs.....I don't know what the catch is but worth a look.
    Either way I wouldn't leave it,1 thing you can guarantee is it won't go away by itself.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    .....I sometimes see mobile repairers parked on out of town shopping centres offering free chip repairs.....I don't know what the catch is but worth a look.....

The catch is that they will use your insurance policy to get paid!

(So it's only "free" if you don't have any excess to pay, and you still have a claim on your history to disclose)
  • buzi
    Options
    1886 wrote: »
    My windscreen has had a chip in it for over three years. It's never got any bigger and it does'nt bother me. If I replace the windscreen I can guarantee it will get another chip so I'm not going to bother
    dont know the percentages of how many chips become cracks and then the windscreen will need to be replaced but it seems to me to be better to get the chip fixed than take a chance
  • buzi
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    The catch is that they will use your insurance policy to get paid!

(So it's only "free" if you don't have any excess to pay, and you still have a claim on your history to disclose)
    yes the claim, how insurance companies get away with doing this for a windscreen chip, they already get my yearly prem and then want to increase it for a windscreen chip!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure