Great 'what costs more for if you're poor?' Hunt revisited

Options

Comments

• Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    Oil for heating. If you live rurally & rely on oil, unlike gas/elec there aren't a range of tariffs to choose from.
    If the government gets its way, there will not be a range of tariffs to choose from as apparently they are "too confusing", so prices will go up for people on cheaper tariffs so the people on the more expensive tariffs can benefit, and apparently most people prefer a "fixed rate" tariff, but everyone I've spoken to prefers "variable rate" tariffs as they just want to pay for what they've used, rather than constantly being told "Your in credit by several hundred pounds, we've reduced your fixed rate amount", "You've used more than we thought you would, we need to increase your fixed rate amount to account for the difference".
  • ice_babe
    Options
    What is more, if you own an "old" reliable but near valueless motor with a 1.6 engine (not huge) for your modest annual mileage - you get penalised by the car tax (VED):

Cars and light goods vehicles registered before 1 March 2001

Private/light goods (TC11)

Engine size (cc) 12 months rate 6 months rate
    Not over 1549.. £135.00............ £74.25
    .......over 1549.. £220.00........... £121.00

Compare that with a taxi cab favourite:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/fabia-estate/1-6-tdi-cr-75-s-5dr/specifications/60480#tabsection2

301177440431.jpg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/road-tax-guide/skoda/fabia/estate-2008/47375/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/skoda/fabia/estate-2008/running-costs/

I drive a 1999 1.6 megane cabroilet, If I had one registered in 2002 it would be much cheaper to tax based on the emissions. Our other newer car which has a bigger engine, less mpg and higher emissions is actually cheaper to tax
  • Genaluco
    Options
    People paying for gas and electricity by meter will probably find it cheaper to buy from EBICO using same meter.This is not an advert. I use them.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pay as you go energy tariffs....
    Oh but the energy companies say people on pay as go don't pay more. And they are such honest trust worthey people .........
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Anything where buying in bulk is cheaper, like dog food.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Council tax as a percentage of takehome pay, especially for the single people living alone.

Everything with a fixed price is more expensive as a percentage of takehome pay if you are on a lower income than it would be if you are on a higher income.
  • Rodger47
    Options
    Being on Disability Allowances and Pensions, I am constantly receiving demands for proof. Proof of Bank statements, Proof of Pensions etc etc. I have been awarded £50.00 because of DWP Bullying!. It cost me more than that in time, paper, ink, Postage, paper, Personal visits and Petrol. I have just received a statement of Housing Benefit (reduced of course) that was 36 pages of financial figures, couldn't decipher! more Petrol Cost to visit Benefit Officer!
  • barrenelly
    Options
    What is more, if you own an "old" reliable but near valueless motor with a 1.6 engine (not huge) for your modest annual mileage - you get penalised by the car tax (VED):

Cars and light goods vehicles registered before 1 March 2001

Private/light goods (TC11)

Engine size (cc) 12 months rate 6 months rate
    Not over 1549.. £135.00............ £74.25
    .......over 1549.. £220.00........... £121.00

Too true about the car tax (VED) on faithful older motors. My car is a 1993-4 Renault Savanna estate, 1725cc, so I pay £220 for my tax disc.

The really galling part is that I only drive about 2000 miles per year, so I'm paying more than 10p per mile before I've even turned a wheel, whereas someone driving an identical car 20,000 miles per year would only be paying 1p per mile.

What price green living? Where is the incentive to use the car less?
  • raddyantic
    Options
    Oil for heating. If you live rurally & rely on oil, unlike gas/elec there aren't a range of tariffs to choose from. Add on top a low income & a severe health condition which relies on you to have a warm heated house & you have a massive financial dilemma!

When I was up in a very rural area in Scotland they had oil fired heating and most people were buying in bulk together once every couple of months. Definitley something to take into account though if you're thinking of living in a rural area which uses this type of fuel as like you say there ain't too many options.
  • raddyantic
    raddyantic Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2012 at 6:09PM
    Options
    Rodger47 wrote: »
    Being on Disability Allowances and Pensions, I am constantly receiving demands for proof. Proof of Bank statements, Proof of Pensions etc etc. I have been awarded £50.00 because of DWP Bullying!. It cost me more than that in time, paper, ink, Postage, paper, Personal visits and Petrol. I have just received a statement of Housing Benefit (reduced of course) that was 36 pages of financial figures, couldn't decipher! more Petrol Cost to visit Benefit Officer!

I know EXACTLY what you mean BUT...I just fax things to people as stamps cost a fortune and organisations such as banks/solicitors etc don't always accept emails - but they do accept Faxes as they are more secure and can't be electronically intercepted. Saved myself a small fortune. I get my brother to fax stuff for me from his work place as they don't mind long as he does it during lunch times or after hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure